Need Help w/ Radio Static

blucobra03

Established Member
I just replaced my 96 GT factory hood with a fiberglass Cobra R hood. The factory hood had a ground strap attached that I assume was to help the radio reduce static, specifically on AM radio. I listen to AM talk radio a lot while in the car and the static is driving me crazy. It's not just engine noise, but when I run under high power lines I also get it. Has anyone else gone this fiberglass hood route and figured out how to eliminate the radio static ? Your help is appreciated friends.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i swapped mine on my 01 and never had one problem with static. i also never listen to AM so maybe that could be a reason?

blucobra03

Established Member
I appreciate the comment, and I have no problem with FM either. That is why I stated the problem was with AM radio. If someone has done this or if anyone has any idea as to how I can fix it, that would be appreciated. I would like to get this fixed before I head to Kuwait this weekend. That way when I return, I won't have more things to fix than normal. Thanks guys !

DaBigBone

Established Member
I recently swapped my hood out. I never listen to AM myself, but next time I drive it I will try it out and let you know how it sounds.

blucobra03

Established Member
Thanks Allblack02, I would appreciate knowing if you get the same results. I'm not getting much support from this thread. When I had my 03 Cobra and used those forums, I would get literally dozens of responses. Looks like the GT guys don't get the respect or else they just don't use this forum like the Cobra guys do. Too bad, as it is a great way to share info. and knowledge.

DK1102

You arent the only one. I was googling my problem and came across this thread. I am also having problems with my AM band and static. Its always been a problem, but I think the problem has gotten worse with the 8" stubby antenna I just put on.

I dont have a fiberglass hood though. I have the stock one. So Ill be checking the ground on the hood tomorrow and make sure it isnt corroded.

I want to put a powered hidden antenna in the car when I get it repainted and have the antenna shaved off. The thought of moving the antenna farther away from the engine and the static sounds like it may work. Ill probably try it before I get to shaving, but at least ill know if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread