Need Help w/codes P0506, P0602, etc..

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Hello, if anyone can chime in on this issue i would really appreciate it. Due to the distance, I probably wont be able to get my car to a tuner for a couple of weeks?

The problem; I took the car out a few weeks ago and i noticed some idle issues, i figured it may be a bit cold since it hadn't been started in about a week and its the middle of winter. Once it warmed up, took for a ride felt ok, until i got on it and felt it buck when i hit 3rd gear.

Car seemed ok after wards, didnt really drive it hard after that. This morning i brought it out to work, and it had idle issues again and actually died while idling 2x? Once warm the car seemed like it had a bit of hesitation (10 mile drive) got to work parked it and CEL on.

I pulled the following codes; P0506 (PCM, RPM to low), P0602 (Control Mod Prog error), P2196 (02 sensor). The car was tuned this past summer and was running great, raced it once all season, and ran fine.

01yellercobra

Established Member
For the idle I'd check the IAC. It might just be coincidence that it's acting up now. As for the bucking, I'd datalog your FPDC and girl pressure.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Stage 4.6

Established Member
For the idle I'd check the IAC. It might just be coincidence that it's acting up now. As for the bucking, I'd datalog your FPDC and girl pressure.

The IAC was replaced about a year ago due to cold start idle issues, no difference?
Iam not competent enough to conduct any data logging but thanks for the input.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So you had the same idle issue last winter? Was the car with the same tuner at that point?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
The issue i had previously was only at initial start up, my car didn't have a cold idle choke ie.. In the mornings at first start it would not idle correctly (really low below 800rpm). Sometimes I had to give it gas like a carburated car to have it start initially. Once it warmed up it was fine?

Yes, i have the same tuner SCT

01yellercobra

Established Member
That sounds like a tune issue more than the IAC to me. Chances are the cold start table needs to be tweaked a little more now that it's colder. I remember having to make a couple adjustments because I originally tuned my car in spring/summer and when winter rolled around it wasn't as happy in the mornings.

I meant the tuner himself. Not the hand held device.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I agree on the tune mighty be off on the cold start, but what about the other codes? And the car ran fine through summer/fall.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's possible that it didn't reach part of the cold start table until it got colder. That's why I mentioned having to tweak my tune between spring and winter.

It's possible the codes are caused by the issue with the idle. I've seen one problem cause multiple codes. Some didn't even seem related. I would get the idle sorted and then go from there.

hotcobra03

Established Member
what type of scanner did you use?

I recall with my hand tuner..when checking codes a window pops up..

given a couple of codes that are normal for tuned vehicles..

5xx,6xx codes maybe part?

not near my car to look..

2196, vacuum leak..

I would look from air filer to throttle body..

the seal at throttlebody, any holes..

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I use the SCT X4, I was told by my tuner the same thing, that some of the 06... codes are normal with tuned vehicles.
I cleared them the other day drove the car and day later it through the P0506 code again (PCM RPM to low) and the P2196 indicating 02 sensor stuck?
I drove the car easy but it started to die on me more frequent when coming to a stop? I manually adjusted the idle (just slightly) to raise the rpm but i think i made it worst?

hotcobra03

Established Member
had chance to look..

my tuner gives,605,1211,1690 to be normal..

download the main manual for pc..if you haven't.

there you will find pc/ed section.

inside is pin point tests for codes..
very Greek at first but it will lead you to why ,when and how to fix..for our car..

this information is very hard to locate with google..you may find some but it' always half of what you need..

chasing codes are the most fun I have on these..

hotcobra03

Established Member
had a chance to get into pc..
here is what it says..

po506..same as po505

start at ke2
2003 PCED OBDII
SECTION 5: Pinpoint Tests
KE: Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve
V32~us~en~file=arrowbak.gif~gen~ref.gif
KE: Introduction
KE1 IDLE CONCERNS OR STALLS: RUN KOER SELF-TEST AND OUTPUT CONTINUOUS MEMORY DTCS

• The Symptom Charts have indicated that there was no change in idle quality when the IAC valve was disconnected.
  • Retrieve all Continuous Memory DTCs.
    Note: If unable to perform KOER Self-Test to completion, GO to KE2 .

• Run Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test.
Is DTC P0505, P1504 or P1507 retrieved during KOER Self-Test or from Continuous Memory?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to KE2 . The IAC system is OK. RETURN to Section 3 , Symptom Charts.

KE2 DTC P0505, P1504, P1507 OR STARTS ONLY AT PART THROTTLE: CHECK VPWR VOLTAGE TO IAC VALVE

• Note: If EGR DTC P0402 was output during Self Test, diagnose it first before continuing with this Pinpoint Test.
  • Disconnect IAC valve.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure VPWR circuit voltage at the IAC valve harness connector.
Is voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to KE3 . REPAIR open circuit.

KE3 CHECK IAC VALVE RESISTANCE
  • IAC valve disconnected.
  • Measure IAC valve resistance.
Is resistance between 6.0 and 13.0 ohms?
Yes No
GO to KE4 . REPLACE IAC valve.

KE4 CHECK IAC VALVE FOR AN INTERNAL SHORT TO IAC CASE
  • Measure the resistance from either IAC valve pin to IAC valve case.
Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
For DTC P1504:

GO to KE7 .

All others:

GO to KE5 . REPLACE IAC valve.

KE5 CHECK AIR INLET FOR PLUGGING OR STUCK IAC PINTLE
  • Inspect the entire intake air system for debris, blockage and other damage.
  • Remove and inspect IAC valve, check pintle movement. Check air tubes (if equipped) for blockage and other damage.
  • Remove and inspect the air cleaner element for excessive dirt.
Is the IAC valve and intake air system OK?
Yes No
RESTORE inlet air system. GO to KE6 . REPLACE IAC valve or repair air inlet as necessary.

KE6 CHECK FOR INLET AIR LEAKS
  • Key on, engine running.
  • With engine running at idle, listen for vacuum leaks.
  • Inspect the entire intake air system from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor to the intake manifold for leaks such as:
    • Cracked or punctured intake air tube.
    • Damaged or loose IAC air tubes.
    • Loose intake air tube at air cleaner housing or throttle body.
    • IAC valve or gasket seal.
    • EGR valve gasket seal.
    • Vacuum supply connector and hose.
    • PCV valve, connectors and hoses.
Are any leaks detected in the above areas?
Yes No
REPAIR as necessary. KEY OFF. GO to KE7 .

KE7 CHECK IAC CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this Pinpoint Test.
  • IAC valve disconnected.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance of IAC circuit between PCM harness connector pin and IAC valve harness connector.
Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
GO to KE8 . REPAIR open circuit.

KE8 CHECK IAC CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO PWR IN HARNESS
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage on IAC circuit between PCM harness connector pin and battery negative post.
Is voltage less than 1.0 volt?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to KE9 . REPAIR short circuit.

KE9 CHECK IAC CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND IN HARNESS
  • Disconnect scan tool from DLC.
  • Measure resistance between IAC and PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
For KOEO or KOER DTC P1504, P0511:

REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ).

All Others:

GO to KE10 . REPAIR short circuit.

KE10 CHECK IAC SIGNAL FROM PCM
  • Reconnect PCM and IAC valve.
    Note: If stalling occurs place a shim under the hard stop screw to maintain idle conditions).

• Access IAC and RPM PIDS.
  • With engine at normal operating temperature, accessories OFF and at closed throttle, the IAC duty cycle must be between approximately 22 percent and 65 percent.
  • Slowly increase engine speed to 3000 rpm and return to closed throttle (Note: If closed throttle rpm is significantly higher than normal, ignore this step).
Is the IAC duty cycle within specification at closed throttle and does the duty cycle respond to the change in rpm?
Yes No
For Continuous Memory DTCs P1504 and P1507:

GO to KE30 .

All others:

KEY OFF. INSPECT throttle body for damage. REPAIR as necessary. If OK, REPLACE IAC valve. RESET Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM). (REFER to Section 2, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset ). REPLACE IAC valve.

KE20 DTC P1506: CHECK FOR VACUUM LEAKS
  • With the engine at idle, listen for vacuum leaks.
  • Inspect the entire intake air system from the mass air flow (MAF) sensor to the intake manifold for damage or leaks such as:
    • Cracked or punctured intake air tube.
    • Loose or cracked IAC air tubes.
    • Loose intake air tube at the air cleaner housing or throttle body.
    • IAC valve or gasket seal.
    • Intake manifold assembly or gasket seal.
    • EGR valve gasket seal.
    • Vacuum supply connectors and hose.
    • PCV valve, connectors and hose.
Are any leaks detected in the above areas?
Yes No
KEY OFF. REPAIR as necessary. KEY OFF. GO to KE21 .

KE21 CHECK EVAP SYSTEM FOR A STUCK OPEN VALVE
  • Disconnect hoses at EVAP canister purge valve (or VMV).
  • Connect a hand vacuum pump at the fuel vapor port to EVAP canister at the EVAP canister purge valve (or VMV).
  • Apply 53 kPa (16 in-Hg) of vacuum to EVAP canister purge valve (or VMV).

V32~us~en~file=AA0937C.gif~gen~ref.gif

Does the EVAP canister purge valve (or VMV) hold vacuum for 20 seconds?
Yes No
RECONNECT hoses. GO to KE22 . REPLACE EVAP canister purge valve.

KE22 CHECK IAC VALVE FOR PROPER FUNCTION
  • Bring engine to normal operating temperature.
  • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL.
  • Disconnect IAC valve.
Does the rpm drop or engine stall?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to KE23 . KEY OFF. INSPECT throttle body for damage. REPAIR as necessary. If OK, REPLACE IAC valve. RESET Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM). (REFER to Section 2, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reset .)

KE23 CHECK IAC CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GND IN HARNESS

• Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this Pinpoint Test.
  • Disconnect scan tool from DLC.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure resistance between IAC circuit at the PCM harness connector and battery negative post.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
For fast idle symptom currently present:

REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2, Flash Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) ).

All others:

Reconnect PCM. GO to KE30 . REPAIR short circuit.

KE30 CHECK IAC SYSTEM FOR INTERMITTENT OPEN OR SHORT
  • Scan tool connected.
  • Access IAC PID and RPM PIDs.
  • With engine at normal operating temperature, accessories off and at idle, the IAC duty cycle must be between 20% and 45%.
  • Observe the PIDs for an indication of a fault while completing the following at idle:
    • Lightly tap on IAC valve and wiggle harness connector to simulate road shock.
    • Grasp the vehicle harness closest to the IAC valve. Shake and bend a small section of the harness from the IAC to the dash panel and from the dash panel to the PCM.
Do the IAC or RPM PIDs suddenly change in value indicating a fault?
Yes No
ISOLATE fault and REPAIR as necessary. For idle quality, starting or stalling symptoms currently present:

REPLACE IAC valve.

All others:

Unable to duplicate or identify fault at this time. GO to Z1 .

hotcobra03

Established Member
for po602..
see note 7..
Note 7: The Vehicle ID (VID) Block must reprogrammed. For instructions refer to Section 2 , Flash VID Block Procedure.
2003 PCED OBDII
SECTION 2: Diagnostic Methods
Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory — Flash EEPROM
Description
Flash Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) is contained in an Integrated Circuit (IC) internal to the PCM. The EEPROM contains the vehicle strategy including calibration information specific to the vehicle and is capable of being reprogrammed or reflashed repeatedly.

As part of the calibration there is an area referred to as the Vehicle Identification (VID) block. The VID block must be programmed when replacing the PCM as described under Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM. Failure to perform this procedure may generate fault codes: P1635, P1639, VID Block not programmed or is corrupt. The VID block in an existing PCM can also be tailored to accommodate various hardware/parameter changes made to the vehicle since production. Failure to perform this procedure properly may generate fault code: P1635, Tire/Axle Ratio out of Acceptable Range is one of the main causes for code: P1639. This is described under Making Changes to the VID Block and also under Making Changes to the PCM Calibration. The VID block contains many items used by the strategy for a variety of functions. Some of these items include the VIN number, octane adjust, fuel octane, fuel type, vehicle speed limit, tire size, axle ratio, the presence of speed control and four wheel drive electronic shift on the fly versus manual shift on the fly. Only items applicable to vehicle hardware and supported by the VID block will be displayed on the scan tool.

When changing items in the VID block, the strategy will place range limits on certain items such as tire and axle ratio. The VID block is also limited to the number of times to be reconfigured. When this limit is reached, the scan tool will display a message indicating the need to flash the PCM again to reset the VID block.

Each of the procedures described below use the Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS). Reprogramming can be performed by a local Ford dealer for any non Ford facility. There are other Enhanced Scan Tools that may have reprogramming capabilities available. Refer to the manufacturers users manual for details.

Programming the VID Block for a Replacement PCM
A new PCM will contain the latest strategy and calibration level for a particular vehicle. However, the VID block will be blank and will need programming. There are two procedures available. The first is an automatic data transfer from the old PCM to the new PCM and the second is manual data entry into the new PCM.

Automatic data transfer will be performed if the old PCM is capable of communicating. This is done by the use of a scan tool to retrieve data from the old PCM before removing it from the vehicle. The stored data can now be downloaded to the new PCM after it has been replaced.

Manual data entry must be performed if the old module is damaged and/or incapable of communicating. Remove and replace the old PCM. Using a compatible Scan Tool select and execute Module/Parameter reprogramming referring to the manufacturers users manual. Important, make certain that all parameters are included. Failure to properly program Tire Size in revolutions per mile, (rev/mile = 63,360 divided by the tire circumference in inches) Axle Ratio, 4x4/4x2, and/or Manual/Electronic shift on the fly (MSOF/ESOF) may result in codes: P1635, P1639. You may be instructed to contact the "AS BUILT" data center for the information needed to manually update the VID block with the scan tool. Contact the center ONLY if the old PCM cannot be used or the data is corrupt. For Ford L-M technician's, contact your National Hotline or the Professional Technician Society (PTS) web sight for "AS Built" data. Non Ford technicians, use the Fed World website at "fedworld.gov". Select Auto Service Information and search for "Calibrations" or "Vehicle Calibrations" then specify vehicle manufacturer, model name and model year as required.

Making Changes to the VID Block
A PCM which is programmed may require changes to be made to certain VID information to accomodate vehicle hardware. Refer to PCM/Module Reprogramming on the Scan Tool.

Making Changes to the PCM Calibration
At certain times, the entire EEPROM will need to be completely reprogrammed. This is due to changes made to the strategy or calibration after production or the need to reset the VID block because it has reached its limit. Refer to PCM/Module Reprogramming on the Scan Tool.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Hey bud I really appreciate all that info you posted up. I will definitely research the info you have provided. I am certain my tuner uses a scan tool, he worked for Ford for many years before opening his own shop, so i will definitely bring this to his attention.

I have gotten the VID blocker DTC previously, and he did replace my ECU and IAC in the past.

My car is currently going through a new clutch and rear diff install upon completion it will be getting towed to my tuners shop.

Again thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread