Need help trying to increase vertical jump

kball

Banned
I had knee surgery about 5 yrs ago, and I have never been able to jump as high as I use to. I see TONS of stuff on the net, but hard to wade through the truth and what isn't. Hoping some of you have experience/tips/info that could help me reach my goal...being able to dunk. Thanks in advance.

25 yrs old
5"10
180lbs
23 vert

canibus

Established Member
not many people know this about me, but i've never been able to jump higher than 13". LOL, it's funny as hell. I too would like to know the secret.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Make/find you a box about 30 inches tall. And start jumping up and down on it. When you can do a couple sets of 20 easily, add dumb bells in each hand. When you get to where you can do a decent weight (30-40 lbs in each hand), step it up to a 40 in box with no weight. Repeat it until you can do the taller box with a decent weight. This is what I did to get my vertical up to a very decent number. Also, SQUATS. Very heavy squats. Go down to where your calf touches the back of your leg, and EXPLODE up. But don't jump, that's dangerous (unless your on a smith machine).

Interesting story, The first time I walked into the Football weight room here at OU, I saw AD doing exactly what I just outlined, but he was on a 40 inch tall box using 80 lbs dumb bells in each hand. I was scared for my life. Seriously.

SupaNOVA

Is Not Amused.
Established Member
jimmy10.JPG

You need to try Jimmy's new shoes out.

jasil

Established Member
Give up!! I tried everything box jumps, bands, chutes, 2 types of "calf strengthening shoes" aka Jumpsoles/Strength shoes.

I went from a standing 22" to a 26-27" and guess what happened within 2 months after I stopped training like a madman?

THE GAINS WENT COMPLETELY AWAY!!!

Like most forms of athelticism you can improve technique, form, and a little performance, but most of the sheer performance is natural. If you ever coach/asst. coach it's obvious at a young age. There is always a kid or two that can just flat out run, jump, cut, etc.

Same thing goes for powerlifting you train ad nauseum and throw up some big weights. Then you stop powerlifting all those big gains go away.

Good luck and not trying to be a downer, but you won't go from a 23" to a 30" unless there is some serious weightloss that is needed. I did know one guy who increased his vertical by 10" he also went from 270 to 215lbs and was training like a madman with me.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw]YouTube - Jarron Gilbert jumps out of pool[/ame]

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
I'm same age as OP and going through carticel treatments for a knee injury I suffered playing basketball in high school. Currently going through physical therapy to get full motion back.

As far as increasing your vertical, I would discourage any use of ankle weights. They tend to cause separation at the point of connection between the ankle and foot. Jump sole or calf rises are your best bet. Also, when jumping take about a 50% squat while at the initial stage of the jump. On the rise extend your lower body as far as you can without discomfort and then the upper in the same manner. Try not to injure yourself though.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Squats and vertical box jumping ftw..but for those with knee injuries you will neeed to make sure your 100 % or you will damage those ligaments again...

Last edited:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
How often and reps/sets of each a week? Thanks for the info. Will be deployed for a year and want to come back and show some people that white guys can jump...haha.

Just as a general guideline, I'd go with 2-3 times a week. Or every 3 days. Something of that nature. As for sets and reps, mix it up. one day go heavy weights with low reps, and the next time reverse that. Light weights and go until you can't.

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
dunk

The dunk is more a product of being able to palm the ball rather than pure vertical leap skill.

Can you dunk a tennis ball? If yes then you have reached your goal.

If no then you can forget about ever dunking a basketball.

Users who are viewing this thread