NEED HELP trying to get crank pully off

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
okay so like the title says. i have a feeling im taking it off the wrong way and need to know how to get it off. i have a hex that fits perfect (tapped it in a little), with a 1/2 inch breaker bar and about a 5 foot metal poll to slip on the breaker bar for torque. firstly does it come of lefty loosy righty tighty? or the opposite. do i need to buy a puller? thanks for the help :thumbsup:

oh btw the motor isnt in the car, its on and engine stand. and the motor WAS seized, but i unseized it turning the crank pully already :shrug: ( i know that could have made things worse inside) .

haskett

Established Member
It's reverse threaded.

There are plenty of threads on the forum about removing the pulley, but I think you'll find most or all of the advice geared towards removing the pulley while the engine is still in the car.

The first thing I would try is a high-powered air impact wrench. Sometimes that works, especially if you have access to a 3/4" wrench.

hotcobra03

Established Member
It's reverse threaded.

There are plenty of threads on the forum about removing the pulley, but I think you'll find most or all of the advice geared towards removing the pulley while the engine is still in the car.

The first thing I would try is a high-powered air impact wrench. Sometimes that works, especially if you have access to a 3/4" wrench.

being on a stand,,,put 2 bolts back into crank where flywheel was to hold...

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
well i have the flywheel still on the motor. i threw a bolt through the flywheel to catch on the engine stand and when i tried to loosen the pully, the flywheel spun off.

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
i took the bolts off before getting the motor on the stand because i wanted to take the flywheel off. i didnt know if it spun off or just popped off and since it wouldnt come off easy i just left it on and bolted the motor to the stand.

hotcobra03

Established Member
i took the bolts off before getting the motor on the stand because i wanted to take the flywheel off. i didnt know if it spun off or just popped off and since it wouldnt come off easy i just left it on and bolted the motor to the stand.

try again...the crank needs to be held to get nut off,,,nut will be very tight ,once its broken loose it will come off easy

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
^ are you talking about the flywheel or the crank pully? im gonna throw the bolts back in the flywheel, then try putting a bolt through the flywheel to catch on the stand again. hopefully it will work

hotcobra03

Established Member
pully

its a big nut and bolt......flywheel and crank make up a bolt,,than the allen thing is the nut....

the proper tool would have been used before pulling engine,,,you remove the starter and the tool bolts in to hold flywheel which would still be bolted to crank...you got the right idea now gl

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
sooooo, i bolted the flywheel back in and threw a bolt through it again to catch on the engine stand. it worked great, but i ran into a new problem. got my 5 foot steel bar on my 1/2 breaker bar, apply force, hear a loud POP! i was so excited because i thought i had gotten it loose, i look down and the allen socket had broken in two.

purchase a more expensive/better quality socket? i guess..

TMSVT

Established Member
I used an impact 14mm allen head socket.I broke 2 breaker bars but the 3rd was a charm.But like others said I did it with motor in car, using the jack method thats posted on here.Good luck man.

venom04svt

Established Member
c7.jpg

This is the correct tool you need, make sure you use an impact socket on the tool and a lot of ass and it will come off..

mrmarrone23

build time..
Established Member
well i bought a nice craftsman allen socket. comboed w my 1/2 in breaker bar and a 5 foot steel bar it came off, although a good amount of force was needed.

quick question, the next pully is an 18mm bolt. is that righty tighty lefty loosy? or the opposite like the hex was..?

Users who are viewing this thread