Need Help!!! Stalling issue.....

quikkstang

Established Member
Hey all, I have a 97 Cobra, Well yesterday I was on the highway and got off the exit and it stalled when I got to the bottom of the exit. Ok, so i start it drive another mile or so down the street, get to a stop sign and it stalls again. now this was only about 2-3 min. since it stalled off the exit. it was fine the rest of the night. So today again i get off the highway coming home from work which is about a 15 min drive, and the car stalled again at the exit. so anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? The car has a P1SC on it, not that it matters, just thought I'd throw that in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
If the car is in gear and stalling I would not hesitate to change the Crank position sensor. (CPS) located right at the crank pulley. Has an plug on it. Pretty common problem for fords. It may not throw a code either.

If you a throwing the car in neutral while going at speeds I would say it is normal because the air is hitting the maf and causing a mismatch stalling the car.

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
The EGR valve is sticking open after decelerating (throttle closed/high vacuum) down the exit ramp allowing unmeasured air to enter the intake manifold (basically a vacuum leak) resulting in stalling the engine.

SVTeeshirt

Established Member
Sounds like its happening when you push in the clutch?
If you let off the clutch before it hits 0krpm or you are at a stop it should come back to life.

I had a vacuum leak and i replaced my MAF, after this my problem went away, same thing when i got off highway ramps, however i think my EGR valve is bad so what ^ said may hold true.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
Mine use to stall with out the egr hooked up. it was just the air hitting the filter when put in neutral at speeds. So what is your situation is it stalling in gear or when you push the clutch in?

Users who are viewing this thread