Need Help - Spark Plug Type and Correct Gap Recommendation

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a Spark Plug Type and Correct Gap for my 2004 Lightning based on the Mods listed below in my signature. Thanks

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Are you sure the NGK TR-6 are adequate for the amount of Boost I'm running with the 6# Lower and a Steggy Stage 4? I found a chart that looks like it recommends the Denso IT 24's gapped .036" to .038", but man they are expensive.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I ran NGK TR-6 gapped .036" with no problems when I had the Eaton and 6# lower many moons ago. The truck is now a 11 second, stock block Whipple SC'd set up. I run NGK TR-6 gapped at .032" and have done so since 2006 with this set up. The truck is no longer my DD however my "conservative" DD set up makes 15 PSI (450-ish RWHP) and with the race set up I have seen upwards of 20 PSI.

Yes, I am confident that NGK TR-6 gapped .034"-.036" will work for your set up. $20 for a set of plugs is much better than the price of iridiums. Also, iridium plugs don't fare so well in boosted applications.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I ran NGK TR-6 gapped .036" with no problems when I had the Eaton and 6# lower many moons ago. The truck is now a 11 second, stock block Whipple SC'd set up. I run NGK TR-6 gapped at .032" and have done so since 2006 with this set up. The truck is no longer my DD however my "conservative" DD set up makes 15 PSI (450-ish RWHP) and with the race set up I have seen upwards of 20 PSI.

Yes, I am confident that NGK TR-6 gapped .034"-.036" will work for your set up. $20 for a set of plugs is much better than the price of iridiums. Also, iridium plugs don't fare so well in boosted applications.

OK, perfect, that's what I needed to know. Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Anytime. I have always changed plugs in that truck frequently (every 5,000-8,000 miles). Plug gap can open a bit over time. If you do a lot of spirited driving or you think you'll put a lot of miles on the plugs you might want to run the tighter end of that spectrum (.034") or you can even tighten the gap a bit (.032").

Users who are viewing this thread