Need Help Rear End Issue

wickedstangs

Established Member
All,
They just removed the Pinion Gear and found some scares on the housing..? Does the whole housing need replacing? And if it does where can I get just the housing?

Rear2.jpg

Thanks for All the Help.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
You have a couple of choices. One is you can take a sharp pointed punch and neural the inside where the race goes. Ive done this on a few and never had them come back. But it wasn't real loose. Two you can rough up the race and the inside of the housing with heavy grit sand paper. Use a two part epoxy and epoxy it in. But it only works one time. Ive done it both ways and never had a failure. Or buy a new housing. Some machine shop can weld it up and turn it back down. But its not cheap, so your probably better off to buy a housing. Loctite also makes some stuff that may do the trick. Depending on the clearance

Last edited:

wickedstangs

Established Member
You have a couple of choices. One is you can take a sharp pointed punch and neural the inside where the race goes. Ive done this on a few and never had them come back. But it wasn't real loose. Two you can rough up the race and the inside of the housing with heavy grit sand paper. Use a two part epoxy and epoxy it in. But it only works one time. Ive done it both ways and never had a failure. Or buy a new housing. Some machine shop can weld it up and turn it back down. But its not cheap, so your probably better off to buy a housing. Loctite also makes some stuff that may do the trick. Depending on the clearance

how does damage like this happen? Is this comely seen?

Last edited:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Only a pinion bearing failure will cause this. It looks clean inside so it probably wasn't set up right. Clearances to tight or too loose. Or it was low on oil. But if it was low on oil all of the bearings would of failed and show signs of being hot "Bluing". Did you have gears installed ?

wickedstangs

Established Member
Only a pinion bearing failure will cause this. It looks clean inside so it probably wasn't set up right. Clearances to tight or too loose. Or it was low on oil. But if it was low on oil all of the bearings would of failed and show signs of being hot "Bluing". Did you have gears installed ?

yes, I had 3.73 installed about 2 years ago, Another friend who saw the image says its looks like there were using a screw driver or some sort to remove the race bear? :shrug: Do you know if they sell just the housing?

fullboogie

Established Member
My money is on a shitty installation, not any kind of failure. Your shop from 2 years ago had no idea what they were doing and hacked the old pinion bearing out of the housing. Pathetic.

fullboogie

Established Member
The reason I believe this is because I had similar damage to the housing on my '08GT after a bad ring/pinion install. Hate to say it, but you're going to need a new housing if you want peace of mind...

wickedstangs

Established Member
Do they sell just the Axle Housing?

I found this part number
FMS-M-4006-S197.jpg

FMS-M-4006-S197
Axle Kit, Housing, 31 Spline Axles, Pinion Flange/Washer, C-Locks, Installation Kit, Ford, Mustang, Kit
$1,043.99

Users who are viewing this thread