Need help please......

corysmach1

Established Member
Too make a long story short I dropped my car off to have a bunch of work done. But I will just list the power mods.

JLT 148
KB168 TB
XBA Plenum
2.4 upper with idler
10% lower
Kooks long tubes
Off road x pipe
Kooks axleback
E85
Lund tuned

They were having issues with it throwing misfire codes. They said it had sucked oil down the TB and that’s why it’s as pulling timing. Put catch cans on it and it went away. The car was pulling 4 degrees of timing. The last pull only pulled 2 degrees of timing but made a tad less power. The car made roughly 680rwhp SAE. The car does have 3:73s. Made roughly 17.5psi. Anytime I get into boost it throws a random misfire code. They said to drive the car the oil will dissipate out of the blower and the timing will come back. The shop owner is on vacation and wants the car back as soon as he gets back, I have dealt with this shop for years and they are a great group of guys and I know he will make it right but I am flat out worried about the power. That’s insanely low. I feel this setup should make 780+rwhp SAE all day. Any ideas? Will oil in the blower cause all these issues and down on power? I don’t see 2 degrees of timing adding 100+rwhp?

RBB

Established Member
An excessive amount of oil coating the TB/lower intake manifold/intercooler could definitely cause the car to pull timing. I don’t think it would cause misfires though, but I could be wrong on that.

How old are your plugs? Also, how many miles are on the car and how long has it been run without oil separators? You may need to pull your intercooler and clean it off.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That's really odd that you're having any knock at all on E85 fuel, As stated above, check your plugs. Who's your calibrator at Lund?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
For the random misfire code, re-check the installation of the 10% lower pulley/balancer to include use of correct washer and proper torque. That is the usual culprit when it has been removed and replaced.

corysmach1

Established Member
The plugs are brand new NGK TR-7IX gapped at .028. The car has 29k miles, I think they only made 3 Dyno pulls them added the catch cans. The knock I believe is from the oil in the blower he mentioned that he is gonna have to clean it thoroughly like RBB said above. I believe my tuner at Lund is Dakota, I have faith the shop will get it sorted I just hope they find the 100rwhp it’s missing.

corysmach1

Established Member
For the random misfire code, re-check the installation of the 10% lower pulley/balancer to include use of correct washer and proper torque. That is the usual culprit when it has been removed and replaced.

That’s a good idea, they did the lower and a clutch. I’ll let him know to check that.

SteveWK

Established Member

This was the cause of my random misfire. The bolt had actually worked itself loose and the balancer wasn't supporting the crank trigger wheel properly causing it to report the crank position inaccurately. This could also be the cause of your engine knock and power problem. I would get the misfire problem sorted out before you do anymore spirited driving.

corysmach1

Established Member
This was the cause of my random misfire. The bolt had actually worked itself loose and the balancer wasn't supporting the crank trigger wheel properly causing it to report the crank position inaccurately. This could also be the cause of your engine knock and power problem. I would get the misfire problem sorted out before you do anymore spirited driving.

What did you do to fix it? Just tighten back up?

RBB

Established Member
Thanks I will definitely look in that if it’s loose.
If the car has been run hard for 30K miles I’d pull the blower back off and take a good look at the intercooler. If it’s caked with oil you’ll have to pull the lower intake manifold and clean everything thoroughly.

corysmach1

Established Member
If the car has been run hard for 30K miles I’d pull the blower back off and take a good look at the intercooler. If it’s caked with oil you’ll have to pull the lower intake manifold and clean everything thoroughly.

I bought it with 28k and ran it super hard since I bought it but the car performed exceptionally well, beat a lot of cars it shouldn’t have. I think you are right though that could be possible

RBB

Established Member
I bought it with 28k and ran it super hard since I bought it but the car performed exceptionally well, beat a lot of cars it shouldn’t have. I think you are right though that could be possible
It's happened to more than a few guys. These things should have come with separators from the factory, at least on the passenger side. Was the previous owner running one, or you have no idea?

corysmach1

Established Member
It's happened to more than a few guys. These things should have come with separators from the factory, at least on the passenger side. Was the previous owner running one, or you have no idea?

It did not have catch cans on it. I put them on after the mods.

RBB

Established Member
It did not have catch cans on it. I put them on after the mods.
I bet that intercooler is caked with oil if the previous owner saw boost a lot. The guys at the shop should be able to take care of it for you, or it's something you can do yourself. Worst part of pulling the lower intake manifold is getting the engine harness out of the way and the heater hose in the back. If you're going to do it yourself I'd suggest just cutting it and buying a new one. It's not a bad job, just a little time consuming. If you need the part # for the hose let me know, it's only about $10.

corysmach1

Established Member
I bet that intercooler is caked with oil if the previous owner saw boost a lot. The guys at the shop should be able to take care of it for you, or it's something you can do yourself. Worst part of pulling the lower intake manifold is getting the engine harness out of the way and the heater hose in the back. If you're going to do it yourself I'd suggest just cutting it and buying a new one. It's not a bad job, just a little time consuming. If you need the part # for the hose let me know, it's only about $10.

Would this be the misfire culprit to cause timing pull and ultimately be down 100+rwhp? Yeah the shop said it’s a job and I think that’s what he has planned to do when he gets back.

Users who are viewing this thread