Need help/opinions on catch can setup

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I know this subject has been cover over and over but I havent found much info on my particular setup. I search for everything a rarely ask questions cause mostly everything has been covered.
Anyway, my car came with a excavation pump inline with a catch can. Awhile ago the pump went out and I just put breathers in both valve covers. Recently I found the fuse for the pump, replaced it and the pump is working again. I'm wondering how effective this setup is or should I go back to breathers or hook the pcv system back to normal with the catch can inline. Mods are in my sig and I think Im pushin about 13psi or so.

Im no artist with a mouse so dont rag on my drawing. Lines from valve covers go into a T-connector to the pump. From the pump lines go to the catch can. There is a breather on the can and outlet of the can is plugged. Arrows shows airflow. Thanks in advance.

pcvsetup.jpg

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
I knew I forgot something the part number on the pump is F6ZE-9A486-DC. It's a ford pump. no other info on it.
Also does mounting position matters when using these pumps. right now its side ways wit the input/output vertical with each other. Should I try to mount it with them horizontal so oil wont pool in the pump.

pump.jpg

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Yep, haven't seen one of those in a while.

Sounds like the prev owner knew what he was doing.

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
Lamotta performance down in FL did all the work on this car. I figured since they did it the work it should be setup correctly. Just worried about the pump going out again. It was awhile before I noticed it wasnt running. Its pretty noisy but after awhile you dont pay it any mind. My pump runs continuously. Ive read some similar setups only turn the pump on under boost. Anyone have any input on this.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
You could use a boost triggered sensor like what KB uses to activate the relay but, I'd just leave it on all the time as is, should be good.

Is it wired with a relay?

Users who are viewing this thread