Need Help on selecting pistons

MG0h3

Established Member
My first guess would be someone beating the living hell out of the car down the freeway, but some caution should be taken once its back running.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
Didn't see the root cause of the engine failure mentioned. Definitely need to find out if tune, injector, fuel pump, etc need to be addressed. Good luck with your new motor!

As of right now, I don't know what the cause was. The guys working on the car have never seen a piston melt like this and all the other pistons are perfect. The car will be getting a re-tune after the motor is broken in and going from there. I'm going to have the injectors tested as well to insure proper functioning.

My first guess would be someone beating the living hell out of the car down the freeway, but some caution should be taken once its back running.

I was thinking the same thing but on a supercharged motor, wouldn't it do that across the entire motor with all the heat?

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
UPDATE:

Motor came apart and here's a better picture of the piston. He sent me pictures of all 8 but this is the only one that has any type of unusual or abnormal wear, all the others look just fine.

68526.jpg

68528.jpg

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
How long have you had this car? My best guess is detonation. Colder air = more boost with same fuel, which can lead to detonation. Bad gas / incorrect octane (have heard stories of family members putting the wrong gas in since they aren't used to using Premium, even though they know they should) could also be the culprit.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
How long have you had this car? My best guess is detonation. Colder air = more boost with same fuel, which can lead to detonation. Bad gas / incorrect octane (have heard stories of family members putting the wrong gas in since they aren't used to using Premium, even though they know they should) could also be the culprit.

I have had the car since mid 2008, bought it used with 23k on it and stock minus a flowmaster super-44 catback. I don't know so much about colder air as the car was in Tucson and it happened (as near as I can tell) in September or October. The guy thats doing the engine has said that bad gas or incorrect octane may be to blame but also feels it would have been in more than just the one cylinder and I agree with that theory.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Gotcha, this new theme doesn't show location and when you said a month ago, colder weather came to mind. A clogged injector could've also caused a lean condition.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
UPDATE 06 Jan, 2017:

So got some bad news today. There's a crack in the head from the seat of an intake valve to the plug hole for the same cylinder that melted the piston. So now I'm waiting to hear back from the machine shop to see if he will be able to repair said crack. So in the meantime, I start looking for a decent used drivers side head.

Also, today I was called and told that the injectors are all good and in working order.

And finally, I got the valve covers back from getting powder coated today. Payed $80 for them both. I also had the "32 valve V8" plate done as well. They look great and match almost perfectly. They are a slight shade brighter than the car paint but I think they will work out just fine. Thinking of getting the blower when I go to drop these off to paint the fins of it. Not to sure yet though.

20170106_180851.jpg

20170106_180858.jpg

20170106_180903.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread