Need help on PCM swap

LizardGT500

Established Member
2009 Shelby GT500
Could anyone please help me with advice?
I've got a car accident a couple of weeks ago and PCM was crashed.
I had a FRPP Whipple setup installed with Ford racing tune.
Now I am trying to get PCM from another GT500 and just curious what options do I have here.
The PCM part number was 9R3A-12A650-PB
It also had a number PZP1 I am not sure what it does represent but think it is important.
Can I just get a used PCM with same part number and get it married to the dash? Will I be able to use a ford tune again or it will not communicate to new PCM?

Van@RevanRacing

You need to get a specific year PCM and return your old PCM as a Core to Ford. The problem you are now faced with is getting another tune and tuner from Ford because your ProCal tuner is married to the busted PCM.

Once the new PCM is installed a dealer or someone with an IDS tool will need to re-program Passive Anti Theft and other items and then you can flash the tune for your Whipple kit on to the new PCM.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
2009 Shelby GT500
Could anyone please help me with advice?
I've got a car accident a couple of weeks ago and PCM was crashed.
I had a FRPP Whipple setup installed with Ford racing tune.
Now I am trying to get PCM from another GT500 and just curious what options do I have here.
The PCM part number was 9R3A-12A650-PB
It also had a number PZP1 I am not sure what it does represent but think it is important.
Can I just get a used PCM with same part number and get it married to the dash? Will I be able to use a ford tune again or it will not communicate to new PCM?

You'll need to have the new PCM programmed through a Ford dealer, then you'll need to contact Ford Racing and see what you need to do to have the Procal reprogrammed. You'll likely need to send in your Procal to be reloaded with their tune, or they may be able to send your dealer the tune.

The PZP1 is your calibration code. Yes it's important.

LizardGT500

Established Member
I also have SCT tuner. Maybe going for non ford tune is a better option, as it can be used on up to 3 cars before it locks itself, if I am not mistaken?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Any possibility to swap flash in PCM, so the procal would think it is the same module?

Is your PCM still functional? If it's damaged but still works, you can flash your car back to stock before your new PCM. That will save you from having to deal with Ford Racing. You'll still need a dealer to flash your new PCM to the vehicle though. There's really no way around that.

LizardGT500

Established Member
The PCM from the car has a 9R3A 12A650-PB part number.
The manual shows 9R3Z 12A650-PB
Are they interchangeable?

LizardGT500

Established Member
Is there any way to mix connectors on PCM. It removed for replacement but did not pay attention that 2 of 3 connectors are the same.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Is there any way to mix connectors on PCM. It removed for replacement but did not pay attention that 2 of 3 connectors are the same.

The two connectors on the engine harness are different sizes, and they attach to the top and bottom on the PCM. The body harness attaches in the middle position. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread