Need help on head purchase.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Hey guys need to know the best heads to buy to put on a 331 or a 347 stroker, was told not much diff. on the two but have plans on running a Turbo/Supercharger just not have made up my mind yet. if any one can chim inn and let me know the heads with the best results for the combo, far as # dont know yet, but would like to get every ounce of juice out of the motor and not really to worried about prices, just wanting the best..thanx:banana:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
AFR 205's if your going for a good out of the box head that can make crazy power. I think the 205's I think have gone 8's without porting but I could be wrong so if i am someone correct me. I'm running Edelbrock vic jr intake and heads on my 408 windsor, need to do some comparing but kinda want to go with 225's, but thats on a NA 408. Keeping the heads that I have if I go turbo.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
AFR 205's if your going for a good out of the box head that can make crazy power. I think the 205's I think have gone 8's without porting but I could be wrong so if i am someone correct me. I'm running Edelbrock vic jr intake and heads on my 408 windsor, need to do some comparing but kinda want to go with 225's, but thats on a NA 408. Keeping the heads that I have if I go turbo.

i hear nothing but good things about these heads, but u dont think the 205's will be to much??, just dont want to much head.haha.thanx for the in put..

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
honestly any AFR head you go with is a good decision. IIRC MM&FF made 460whp with 165's, holly intake, and a base hellion turbo kit on 10psi a few years back. The 205's wont be to big imo but if your going FI you might be just as good getting the 185's since your staying 331 or 347. I would say if you were going for high HP NA then go 205's maybe even 225's depending on your combo but going FI you wont really need heads that big. GL with your choice. the Jic JR heads are a good head also. My 408 through a C4 and 9" rear made 405rwhp at just under 5000' elevation with it being around 80* outside so vic JRs are pretty solid right out of the box. But if I were building a set up like yours I would personaly do 185's or 205's. GL sir, post up pics when you start the build =)

Last edited:

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Thanx predator for the in put, so AFR's it is!!, i made a mistake a few months ago and decided to buy some GT-40 heads and port them out with all new hard wear, not only did i know that 900 dollars later i only just have GT-40 iron heads, but oh well i guess a live and learn process.. so not trying to make that mistake again, so 185's or 205's hmm i guess it will come down to the ? of how much diff in cost they will be.thanx again..

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
WOW, guys did not realize they made so many 185's, so now hear comes another ??, so witch ones do u all recommend, like i was saying before going with a built and blown motor just not sure on turbo/supercharger yet far as the cc's chambers for my app. thanx again..

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
It completely depends on your piston choice. The CC of the combustion chamber will directly effect your comp ratio. For example, my 408 is 12:1 comp with the vic jr heads, I believe they have a 61cc combustion chamber, IF I go with the afr 205's or 225's im going to opt for there 72cc chambers to help lower my compression a little, although im not sure exactly how much they will lower it but iirc it would take it from 12:1 to somewhere around 11.3:1 but I could be wrong and thats just an estimation (im drunk right now so math + jager= not happening, lol). So if your running a large dish piston then the chamber on the heads doesn't need to be as big, but its something I would talk to your motor builder about specifically because I think it can also effect some other things, it also depends on the amount of boost you want to run and the fuel type your going to be using. If your running E85 then hell, run a 10:1 comp motor and 16-18 psi and you'll see a decent gain over say an 8.5;1 motor running 16-18 psi on pump gas. There are so many variables thats its hard to say but if you plan on running pump 91 or 93 gas then you'll want 9:1 or even 8.5:1 over all compression. Id personally go E85. I talked to my motor builder yesterday and he said if I convert to E85 I can run 14-16psi through my 12:1 comp motor with a big single. Now I'm just debating on a big single high comp motor or a big N2O shot:bored: decisions decisions, lol.

Once again, im drunk so if this makes no sense thats why, lol. take everything in this post with a grain of salt:beer:

Edit, here is a flow chart for all the heads on the market, this may help you make a decision. Notice that the AFR 185's outflow the Edelbrock Vic jr's till .500 lift, lol. But AFRs are 2X the price of vic jr's. You can pick up a new set of Vic jr's from summit for $750, AFR 205's are over $1800, so it really depends on what you want to spend. The difference the AFR's gain you might not out weigh the price but that depends on you.
http://www.carbdford.com/tech/flowdata.htm

Last edited:

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
It completely depends on your piston choice. The CC of the combustion chamber will directly effect your comp ratio. For example, my 408 is 12:1 comp with the vic jr heads, I believe they have a 61cc combustion chamber, IF I go with the afr 205's or 225's im going to opt for there 72cc chambers to help lower my compression a little, although im not sure exactly how much they will lower it but iirc it would take it from 12:1 to somewhere around 11.3:1 but I could be wrong and thats just an estimation (im drunk right now so math + jager= not happening, lol). So if your running a large dish piston then the chamber on the heads doesn't need to be as big, but its something I would talk to your motor builder about specifically because I think it can also effect some other things, it also depends on the amount of boost you want to run and the fuel type your going to be using. If your running E85 then hell, run a 10:1 comp motor and 16-18 psi and you'll see a decent gain over say an 8.5;1 motor running 16-18 psi on pump gas. There are so many variables thats its hard to say but if you plan on running pump 91 or 93 gas then you'll want 9:1 or even 8.5:1 over all compression. Id personally go E85. I talked to my motor builder yesterday and he said if I convert to E85 I can run 14-16psi through my 12:1 comp motor with a big single. Now I'm just debating on a big single high comp motor or a big N2O shot:bored: decisions decisions, lol.

Once again, im drunk so if this makes no sense thats why, lol. take everything in this post with a grain of salt:beer:

Edit, here is a flow chart for all the heads on the market, this may help you make a decision. Notice that the AFR 185's outflow the Edelbrock Vic jr's till .500 lift, lol. But AFRs are 2X the price of vic jr's. You can pick up a new set of Vic jr's from summit for $750, AFR 205's are over $1800, so it really depends on what you want to spend. The difference the AFR's gain you might not out weigh the price but that depends on you.
Ford Head Flow Data and Specs

Dame bro thanx for the input, WOW my head is spinning rite now.lol.. i guess i would really have to get with the builder on on this far as what i want to run and the plans i have for her.. but was really leaning toward a dss motor u know the hole shabang!!, long block and all, that just would make more scene to me, would cost a pretty penny but trying to do it rite.. :rockon:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I might of missed it, but is this going on a stock block?

That is a GOOD question. OP the stock 302 block will only hold about 450-475whp RELIABLY before you start risking a cracked block. Even if you put a main support system and fully forged internals it wont matter, anything over 500whp and the block is on severely borrowed time. You should SERIOUSLY consider going 1 of these 2 routes.

1) spend an extra $1600 for a Dart, man-O-War, or FRPP "boss" block. These blocks will handle all the power you will ever throw at them(1500plus HP). DO NOT wast your money on a "sportsman" block, they not much better than a factory 302 block from everything ive heard and read.

Now the cons of this route are, its EXPENSIVE, shipping will be another several hundred $$ on top of the $1600block cost, and it can take several weeks to get to you.

2) Go to a junk yard, spend $200 on an old 351 Windsor block like mine. The 351's have a much stronger design when it comes to handling high HP. I know many people that are making over 700whp on a stock Windsor block and stock crank. The problem with running a 351W is it will not fit under a stock hood without lowering the K member about 1.5". SO you will either have to drop the k member or have a cowl hood on the car. The cowl doesn't have to be huge, 2" cowl or cobra R hood will clear. But if you go this route you will already have larger displacement out of the box and be able to increase the displacement to 427ci later on if you so choose.

The cons of this route have already been explained above, but also consider that every piece you put on the motor with have to fit a 351 NOT a 302. BUT a lot of the parts are interchangeable. All of the accessories will fit on a 351 iirc, the trans will bolt up, but you will probably need a new distributor, the intake manifold will need to be 351 specific as the deck height is taller than a 302 by around .5" (not exact amount but somewhere around there). BUT everything you will need to replace to fit the 351 are things you'll be replacing doing the build anyways so it will save you A LOT of money.

You can learn anything about turbo mustangs and 351 swaps on this site, a lot of the SVTP guys are over there and many others, there is a huge amount of info to find.
TheTurboForums - Index

Good luck:beer:

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
Oh ya forgot to mention, the block by all means not going to be stock because of that simple fact..was shooting toward a DSS long block i know there kinda expensive but want to do it rite, on the boss block i have hurd up and downs on them there is a engine builder that i took my GT40 heads to for him to port and clean them up, and remember asking him about the BOSS block and if i can remember he told me not to get one just from the previous motors he has built that they were junk, don't really know all i know is that i believe him.

blownfox

Established Member
Just so you know a DSS level 20 block is still a stock shortblock. I would talk to Woody (Jim) at fordstrokers.com. There is a long lead time but he knows his stuff.

When I do it again it will be a 351 stroked to a 393 or something close to that and it would be fuel injected.

93sspcoupe

Established Member
i like the trickflow 185cnc and the trickflow 205s cnc. i will be adding the 205s to my na 347 around fall, along with a custom cam 1 3/4 longtube headers and maybe a diff intake. my goal is 430rwhp na and 10s na.

Users who are viewing this thread