Need help on a detail plan for TR 04'..

truculentSVT

Established Member
Okay guys, looking to detail my torch red 04 cobra. The car has the usual fine scratches/swirls from washing & drying. What would be a good plan to put this car back in shape? I'm thinking about getting a porter cable. What do the detailing guru's suggest to use on torch red -- polishes/waxes/sealants? What pads? Also where is a good place online to get this type stuff. Thanks for the help in advance. :beer:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
This is what I currently use on my 05 GT.

Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit

When I had my 03 TR 10th Anni, I used my Porter Cable, and the Optimum product line. I didn't like it too much. The Menzerna is awesome stuff, and doesn't leave a lot of dust after you use a DA/Rotary.

I would use the Intensive Polish with an Orange Lake County Pad, then use the Super Finish with the White CCS Pad, and lastly use the Finishing Glaze with the Gray CCS Pad.

For a sealant/wax, two great products I know would work awesome are

Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Car Wax contains real carnauba wax and paint sealant polymers to protect paint. ultimate show car wax, auto wax, paste wax,

Pricey, but well worth it.

Otherwise, use these 3 items which cost less than the Wolfgang, and will give you longer and almost as much shine.

Wax

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax, car wax, auto wax

Enchancing Polish. Use this before the All Paint Sealant.

BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish, prewax polish, car polish

After using the Enhancing Polish, use this:

BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection, paint sealant, synthetic sealant, blackfire sealant

Either the Midnight wax or the Wet Diamond is your best friend.

Hope this helps man.

-Chris

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Okay guys, looking to detail my torch red 04 cobra. The car has the usual fine scratches/swirls from washing & drying. What would be a good plan to put this car back in shape? I'm thinking about getting a porter cable. What do the detailing guru's suggest to use on torch red -- polishes/waxes/sealants? What pads? Also where is a good place online to get this type stuff. Thanks for the help in advance. :beer:

Your off to a good start already if you plan on using a machine. It will make life easier as well turn out a better detail job. You could pick up some of the new Hydrotech Pads from Lake Country. They only have 3 colors so it's very easy to choose the right pad for the job. There is a couple different products you could use however.

Give John a call today and he would be more than willing to sort you out on anything you need and answer any questions you may have. On top of that he can point you in the right direction.

Matt

truculentSVT

Established Member
Eastern Kentucky..

Alot of options it looks like.. Not sure what way exactly to go..

flamed03vert

Established Member
Blackfire products FTW! You wont be dissapointed. Not sure how bad the finish is, but personally the ceramic paint polish is specifically for cermaic based clear. You have alot of options for polishes. Unfortunately theres no solid one is better than the other. Its mostly personal preference. The pads mentioned before sound right on point. Glaze is strictly for filling any other imperfections that might have been missed during compounding and polishing. Glaze is a concealer, and doesn't last. If you get the paint corrected with the 2 step polishing process you can save you money by not needing the glaze. Lock in the protection with the BFWD.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
You'd be set with a white and orange pad, some light to medium polish (I personally like Poorboy's SSR line, but be very careful to mask off black trim) and plenty of tape to mask off everything.

Get a nice wash with Dawn and get all the junk off, then a good detailed claybar job. Mask everything off and goto work on the car. Many people do small areas (2'x2' or whatever) I usuallly do it panel by panel, and then 1/2 a door at a time, but it's purely preference.

AdamR@Gotham

Established Member
We use 105 and 205 By Meguiars at my shop for compounding and polishing followed by Chemical guys EZ Creme and Butter wax. Pad choice depends on condition of the paint but they are all ways lake county pads. However Meguiars also sells a microfiber pad set that comes with a compound/polish and wax that works real well for the do it yourself crowd.

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 6" Starter Kit | eBay

This kit is for use with the P-C D/A polisher

Buffing & Polishing Application Guide Chart | Lake Country Manufacturing

Users who are viewing this thread