Need help! Looking at buying a supercharged 2v

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
I'm looking a supercharged 2000 mustang. The guy who has the car picked it up from someone who lost their job and needed to get rid of it quick and now they are flipping it. The price is fair and the car is spotless inside and out but i'm cautious as the car has nearly every mod you can imagine with no paper work to back it up. Here's what I see

Mods
Built shortblock - no proof of this
ceramic coated longtubes - confirmed
vortech ysi - confirmed
vortech aftercooler - confirmed
midpipe and catback - confirmed
return style fuel system - I see AN fittings near the fuel rail and relays in the trunk so confirmed??
aftermarket fuel rails - confirmed
blue injectors - no idea what these are??
600rwhp - no proof of this

It drives and sounds fine but I'd like some input on if I should take a chance on the shortblock and the rest of the unknown. It doesn't have a boost gauge and seat of the pants tells me its quick but I really don't know if its 600hp quick. I have a hard time believing someone would mod this far without building the shortblock.

One other thing. It fired up and idled fine when cold but had hot start issues where I had to mash the pedal to the floor to start it.

PC03GT

Established Member
If it was me, I would stay away. About 10 years ago I had the bright idea of buying a procharged 03 gt , it was a turd. It had all kinds of bolt ons, clean body and 30,000 miles. It ran kind of funny, I thought it just needed a tune. Finally went to the dyno, it put down a whole 300+ hp on 12psi of boost. If something if funky or doesn't feel right I would just keep it moving and find something else.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Are you willing to take a chance that the shortblock isnt built? The only way to confirm would be to remove the oil pan and take a look. Maybe find a local tuner that will put it on their dyno and see what it makes. If it really is making 600hp, then I would bet the internals are beefed up. Theres no way stock 2v internals are surviving 600whp for very long.

However, my 2v is making 500 crank hp with stock internals and the car pulls like a train and the engine is still in one piece.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
i agree, if it makes 600 it won't have a stock shortblock. The question is, can a 2v with a ysi make 600 on pump gas? I know for a fact that it has stock cams and probably heads as well.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Im not too familiar with that blower but I would think that it could if it was spun fast enough.

For reference, I'm making 500 on a Kenne Bell at 9 psi with a stock 2v engine on e85.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Assume the bottom end is stock and on borrowed time. Add in the cost of installing a built engine to replace it (if it fails) to the purchase price.(Better safe than sorry) Is the total more than you want to spend?

Stanger00

Established Member
i agree, if it makes 600 it won't have a stock shortblock. The question is, can a 2v with a ysi make 600 on pump gas? I know for a fact that it has stock cams and probably heads as well.

Yes. Lots of 2 valves out there making 600 with an Si trim on pump gas but with cams and head work tho. Mine does and I'm running 16 psi and 91 octane. Cracked two PI intake manifolds so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I'd go for it. Sounds like a solid foundation if nothing else. I wouldn't drive it around much though. Just go straight to the nearest shop you can to get a tune done on it or check the state of the tune. Assume though that's it's a stock bottom end and assume it's 350 hp. Negotiate your price based on this. Guys that flip cars, **** them, they will tell you any bullshit they think you would like to hear and not think twice about it.

Edit: I should have said, I'd go for it.. at the right price.

Blue injectors are likely OEM 39lb from Cobra. No way the car is making 600 hp on these injectors.

If the car only feels "quick" to you, it's more in the range of around 350 hp give or take. 600hp is scary, cannot keep the car straight, constantly wanting to spin up the tires kind of fast.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread