Need help launching turbo 6 speed

THogg

Established Member
I know 6 speed and turbo are not the best track combo, but I find myself at the track more lately and would like to run something better than 1.90 60s. Looking for any advice on how to get this thing to launch better. Here's what I have and how I'm currently launching:

Twins w/ stock H/C and 01 intake
WOT box with 2step set at 5,200 seeing about 5-6 psi at Launch. I can run up to 26#s boost before running out of fuel.
Built SAR w/ stock GT gears (3.27?)
28X13.5X15 QTP Just got these had
Full Built T-56
Full weight

When I launch it just bogs and falls on its face. I can slip the clutch for the best results (1.9s). Is there something else other than a small 50 shot to help get this thing rolling? Oh and besides changing to an auto ;(

Thanks

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
You need more boost on the launch. I used to have the same problem with the MSD two step. It would make about 5-6 psi as well, and I had to ride the clutch to get the boost up.

What you need to do is take it back to your tuner and log the engine load on the 2 step. at that rpm and load, start pulling timing.

Mine is set at 5500, and when we finished, we are at -6* and it makes 14-15 psi. I run 1.42-1.40 every pass with a very simple/cheap suspension with the sra swap.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Go auto, problem solved. How do you like the 3.27 gears I just got a set in and I'm about to build my rear again.

Last edited:

THogg

Established Member
Cool. Thanks I'll take it to get retuned. What is your "simple/cheap suspension"? Those 1.40s 60 on slicks? Because I turned the 2 step up to 6,000 and it left good but then started to wheel hop. :(
I have adj. rear shock set on 6, 1" lowering springs, height adj. lowers and adj. uppers. Do I need something else? Are the height adj. lowers my problem. I don't see many people running them? But I like being able to raise and lower the car for whatever tire I'm running.

It had 3.27s when I got it. So its hard to say if I would like it better with something else. I can tell you I love the new tire height 26" to a 28". The turbos stay inside their power band longer and it will hold full boost all through 2nd.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Perfect I will be running 28" MT's that's what I like to here I was worried about it being to much gear but kurgan also suggested them.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
First off, you need more boost out of the hole. More RPM is not going to help. If you want to learn how to build more boost on a 2 step with a 6 speed I have posted about it multiple times. Its a simple tune tweak. Search posts from my name in this forum, you may have to go a few years back but the info is there. But LSstruck has the right idea on how to do it, it works.

2nd, you need some work on your suspension. Ditch the lowering springs. If you are wheel hopping with an SRA you have serious issues going on. I am not going to get into a full suspension build in the turbo section but to get your 60s down, you cannot just slap an SRA in a car with adjustable shocks and "Be good". There is more to it. Good control arms, correct ride height, correct tire pressures, correct shock settings, correct springs, Anti Roll bar is a HUGE plus also your front suspension makes a huge difference. Weight transfer is key. Setting everything to full loose is not always good. The type of bushings you are running also play a roll. If pinion angle is wrong it will kill your launch and wheel hop amongst other things. Are you running quad shocks? Etc etc etc.

.....Or go auto and some SRA tweaks :)

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Cool. Thanks I'll take it to get retuned. What is your "simple/cheap suspension"? Those 1.40s 60 on slicks?

At the time, I had 14"/175lb front coil overs with tokico's, tokico rears, with stock 99-04 gt springs, and a cheap set of "SVE" standard control arms from 5.0 resto. 28x10.5 full slick. 10-12psi in the tires, 2nd gear burn out til it was solid smoke. I'd ride the 2 step til it saw 14-15psi, and come off the clutch 3/4 way and slightly slip the rest. Very consistent 1.42s.

This season I will have more power and a lot better suspension. However, it looks like a th400 is going in.

THogg

Established Member
First off, you need more boost out of the hole. More RPM is not going to help. If you want to learn how to build more boost on a 2 step with a 6 speed I have posted about it multiple times. Its a simple tune tweak. Search posts from my name in this forum, you may have to go a few years back but the info is there. But LSstruck has the right idea on how to do it, it works.

2nd, you need some work on your suspension. Ditch the lowering springs. If you are wheel hopping with an SRA you have serious issues going on. I am not going to get into a full suspension build in the turbo section but to get your 60s down, you cannot just slap an SRA in a car with adjustable shocks and "Be good". There is more to it. Good control arms, correct ride height, correct tire pressures, correct shock settings, correct springs, Anti Roll bar is a HUGE plus also your front suspension makes a huge difference. Weight transfer is key. Setting everything to full loose is not always good. The type of bushings you are running also play a roll. If pinion angle is wrong it will kill your launch and wheel hop amongst other things. Are you running quad shocks? Etc etc etc.

.....Or go auto and some SRA tweaks :)

Took the quad shocks off. I plan to have the suspension looked over completely while its getting retuned. I'm thinking like you, with this wheel hop something is not right. Great information. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread