need help installing O ring into oil filter adapter

UARPREY

Established Member
*** Issue has been resolved with help from MMR, if this came off as me being a dick, I apologize***

Awhile back, I ordered the MMR oil filter relo kit to do away with my leaking oil " cooler"

Got busy with other things in life etc and maybe 2 months after ordering, I open the kit, getting ready to install it...and the O ring they installed on the coolant passage, doesn't fit, not even close.. Whoever installed that o ring on the block adapter knew it was like that, and yet it made it out the doors.

I was able to talk with someone via facebook messenger at MMR, where I was told I may have stretched the o ring, which I had not, I opened the package and saw it as pictured below. The pic with the mmr packaging in the background is when I opened the kit originally with their supplied and installed o ring. 2nd pic is with a new o ring in the size they told me to use.

So I said OK, maybe this o ring was just stretched from whoever installed, who knows, so I ask for the o ring size, they tell me it's a -136 buna N, 70D, cool.. I go online, order some, they show up yesterday..and low and behold, same damn thing.. too big.

So one of 2 things has to be going on.. either A. MMR has been sending the wrong O rings with every one of these kits and leaving it for the customer to deal with OR B. the block plate they sent me is just machined wrong and thats why the o ring doesn't fit. They actually sent me a picture of the tag from their box of O rings, so its not like they pulled -136 out of their ass, so either they are using -136 on something else they sell, or they've been sending all these kits out with the wrong O ring. You'd think when you pay $260 shipped, something as stupid as a 4 cent o ring wouldn't be a concern. But it is, at least in my case.. Has anyone else experienced this with their mmr kit?

Attachments

• IMG_9723.jpeg
    IMG_9723.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_9788.jpg
    IMG_9788.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
MMR is so hit and miss on quality. The one and only thing I've ordered from them, a head cooling mod kit, was sent with too short of a connecting hose. It wasnt even close to being long enough. I just went and bought a new hose at a local parts store and dealt with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UARPREY

Established Member
The ones on my block adapter, they aren't very high above the surface of the block plate.. It doesn't look like theres much o ring there to compress and seal, although I have not read about these leaking. But I do tend to over think things too.

Turbostang, has yours leaked or any issues? Also what did you torque it down to? Stock spec is like 23 ft lbs I think, I asked the MMR guy 3 times in facebook messenger was the torque spec same or different, being o rings and not stock gasket, got no answer to that.

Turbostang91

Established Member
I didn't use a torque wrench I just tighten it. Haven't had any leaks

I also tighten down the fittings on the mmr block just to make sure they werent loose.

And if your are going to use the stock oil sensor on the mmr block put a ground on the sensor.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
To the OP, very sorry that you had a problem with this, i am the person that helped you on saturday via facebook, I apologized to you and glady offered to replace the O rings ASAP, you asked for the part# on the O rings which I also supplied to you. I also told you I can install the O rings for you for no charge if you didnt want to mess with it. We understand your frustration, but every company will have issues and we offered many different ways to correct it. As you can see by the other picture that a member posted - they normally fit perfectly. It was my opinion that you pulled/stretched the O ring too much as you tried to put it in the groove. Regardless, we offered to resolve this for you in many ways and these options are also still open, we are even happy to send you a new one with the O rings installed so that there is no room for error. Please Let us know if we can help further.

I took a moment also to try one on our shelf, also no issues (see attached photo)

Attachments

• oring.jpg
    oring.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 318

UARPREY

Established Member
Okay so with the help of MMR, I was able to get the -136 installed.

It took a million times more finagling and screwing around with than I had previous attempted, as to not actually stretch and ruin the O-ring, because I had always been told not to force or stretch o rings to make them fit, or you can damage them etc etc..The hardest part is getting the excess to lay into the groove. But it can be done, just kinda have to say " oh well, if i mess up the o ring, i mess up the o ring". This is what the hold up was, me not wanting to actually mess something up.

So thank you to MMR for helping out, I apologize if this came off as a personal insult/bash, it was not my intention. Just frustration.

I do still want to point out the fact that this part was shipped from your facility, with the O-ring incorrectly installed. So whoever installed it, may want to have a talk with them so that this doesn't happen in the future.

And it wouldn't hurt to maybe print up a instruction, tips, sheet and toss in the box for someone to refer to before having to bother someone at MMR and or post on forums to see if anyone else had the same issue etc etc.

Anyway, it is resolved and thanks again for the help MMR.

Users who are viewing this thread