Need help identifying Performance Chip in Mustang GT

Nicko Cap

http://imgur.com/dTMfd1a

97 Mustang GT, this was in my pcm. I have checked with my code reader and can't detect a difference. Seems the IAT temp is the same, MAF G/S seems the same, maybe slightly more? I dunno if I should keep it in or not. I don't have access to a dyno so I don't know if gains are placebo effect etc.

Thanks!

Nicko Cap

After researching on google I spotted a blue "superchips" one that looks exactly like mine only blue. I think I'm on to something. Probably has a generic table tune which may be ok but I'm thinking the thing isn't even powering up due to the contacts on the PCM not being buffed down enough. I'm gonna look at it.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I haven't heard that name in a while. I forgot all about them. Thats definitely a real possibility.

Nicko Cap

Heh yeah I got the car three years ago and it was installed by previous owner. I need to get a tuner for sure, but a generic tuned chip working would be ok for now. I just need to check it out.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I had the mail order blue SCT chip on mine for awhile. Then switched to the 3 position chip when i got my NOS installed.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
The chips are, or at least used to be, very popular for nitrous applications.

If the tune on the chip doesn't seem any different than without it, the chip may have been for nitrous. Which makes sense as it just adds more fuel during WOT when nitrous is injected.

Twingo

Hi there.. made a similar discovery on my 02 Ligtning.. a blue superchip attached to the ECM/PCM.. long story short.. I got painfully aware of its existence when the truck just died on the freeway and went in to "theft mode / PATS"..150km of towing service... with the bed full of new 20" rims. Sufficient to say not one of my happier days.. the next day when troubleshooting I found that the chip had worked it self loose, just pushed it in and added some tape to make it stick.. but my real question is what the hell does this chip do? My theory is that with a handheld you could alter the engine setup but does the chip do anything exept that, enable the tune? Greetings from Sweden BTW.. hope someone knows... is it worth keeping ?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
The chip was just a tuning tool from back in the day, before the handhelds became popular. Chances are your L has some type of tune for what ever mods it may have?

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Ya just a piggy back chip, had a three postion on an 03. yours is just a single
keep it in there it is doing something

Twingo

Thanks a lot guys...guess I take it to a tuner one day and check all the specs...it's very lightly modified at present but we all know whats's gonna happen...one mod after the next and so on..the usual path.. it's a keeper that is for sure..again thanks for your replies..

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
If you can identify a plenum, throttle body or injectors I would leave it in there. cold air not so much of a worry, but after i did my 03 with the mentioned it was running way off over half throttle before tune. chip fixed it all

Twingo

So far just the Cai...but thanks for the advice...will keep that in mind..not so many of these trucks around these parts...all imported..they were never sold thru Ford dealerships..

Users who are viewing this thread