Need help! I think I might have a bad blower?

pattoncars

Established Member
Ok when I first bought this car less than a month ago now. It had a bad belt squeak and the belt was very worn. So I took the belt off and went to oreillys to size it up. I went a half of inch shorter in a belt because the other seemed to be stretched out some. They had to order the belt and said it would be in tomorrow. So I removed all the Metco idlers just to clean them all up during this process I noticed that one of the idlers bearings was bad. So I replaced the bearing and then installed my new belt. The belt squeak went away for just a few days. So its back now and the noise goes away once the car warms up. So I thought I had another bearing out in one of the idlers. So my good friend and I bought all new bearings for all the idles and installed the last night. The squeaking was still there! So I removed the blower belt and started the car. The noise went away once again. So there is only two other things that could be causing the the noise. 1. the stock belt tensioner or 2. the whipple blower. So I though the heck with it and I went and bought a new tensioner pulley. Which it didn't help either. I'm afraid at this point its the bearings in the blower. Any other ideas?
IMAG0339-1.jpg

pattoncars

Established Member
I also have checked the blower oil and it looks good. As the noise is coming from the top around the 90mm idler and snout of the blower area.

Blueline

Established Member
What kind of belt did you buy? If the noise is going away once warmed up, my money is on the belt. Can you post a video of the noise? I dont think your blower bearings are bad, the noise wouldnt go away.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
I run the gates too, every once in awhile it does the same thing. Try taking the belt off and turning it around. See if that helps at all.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What kind of belt did you buy? If the noise is going away once warmed up, my money is on the belt. Can you post a video of the noise? I dont think your blower bearings are bad, the noise wouldnt go away.

this

it could be the belt itself or an alignment issue. watch how your belt tracks VERY carefully from the sides of the car, might help to use a flashlight. With my procharger I had to concentrate on the space between the edge of the pulley and the belt on each side of each pulley before I finally noticed it walking a little. For some reason it was more obvious on the motor side of the pulley

hotcobra03

Established Member
dont forget if you have the stock lower pulley in cage...there is a bearing inside behind pulley along with rubber....

i have a bad lower...its makes the same noise as bearings/belt,,,as with squeak when cold,,

ive noticed with mine when its all together the belt is tight if i try to turn by hand,,when i get the squeak i check lower by trying to turn belt..when the rubbers are blown it moves back and forth with finger tips,,,

pattoncars

Established Member
It was the belt. I got another belt a half of a inch larger and no issues at all. I didnt feel any belt slip and no noise at all. thanks for the help guys!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What belt are you guys running?

With your description I'm putting my money on the belt as well. What you need to do is check out Cobra Bobs ate and determine your appropriate belt size acorrding to you pulley setup. It will give you the right part #

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Sorry not to highJack but I was wondering if it's possible to run these motors without the blower belt on. I have a whining noise almost like the power steering at full lock but sounds like it's coming from the snout (and always at idle) can I pop the belt and let it idle to see if the noise remains, the PS is on the inner belt correct?
Its a stock Eaton with a 3.0 upper stock lower got the motor used and rebuilt it but never thought about rebuilding the blower. Blower came with a billetflow hub with no pulley so who knows what it had but has been goin strong for ~30,000 miles at this point. Do Eatons ever really go bad never heard of it and if so what are the symptoms?

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Yes you can run it without the blower belt but only for so long. You wont have an alternator while the blowr belt is off. Water pump is driven by the inner belt so you don't have to worry about overheating.

Users who are viewing this thread