Need help HP twins

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
Does anyone have the instructions for the old style HP twin turbo kit (with the shorty headers)? I thought it would be pretty easy to figure out, well not so much! I am installing it on a 03 cobra and running into a huge problem with the pass side of the K-member. I have tried the Maximum motor sport K, the Racecraft K and the UPR K and keep running into the same problem, the header keeps hitting the mount for the motor mount. Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas?

If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks

:beer:

brunocobratt

Established Member
the k-member that the kit uses is the d&d k member, mine has the d&d k-member and on the driver side the header is pretty close to the motor mount, too close. sorry i dont have the instructions

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I'm pretty sure mine came with the QA-1 k-member. I have the instructions in pdf format but won't be home until Tuesday. I can e-mail them to you then if you like.

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
Thanks a bunch guys! I got the kit from a really good guy here on SVTP without the K-member but I called Greg at RET and he mentioned the UPR, So I am trying that one but maybe I am doing something wrong????
TURBO98 if you could, please send me the instructions at [email protected] that would be really cool! Thanks again!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Did you try switching the driver side and passanger side headers once? Thought I remembered that someone else had the same problem a while ago and fixed it by switching headers.

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
I thought about that last night and by looking at the flanges there is 1 header that has a spot for the oil dipstick to go through and the other header has a solid flange all the way accross, to get the oil dipstick inbetween you would have to take it out of the block and I did think it looked right. also the pass header (with the solid flange) has 1 longer runner which I would think would bolt to the head right by the A/C? But please correct me if I am wrong. Again I have no instructions so i'm just winging it.
Thanks

SVT GI

Established Member
I just got done doing this a few months ago for my HP twin kit with shorty headers. I bought my kit used as well and sourced some pics and instructions online. I don't have them saved anymore, just printed out copy.

You have to grind a notch out of the K-member on the passenger side. On the flat plate where the 2 front bolts go to the frame. It was built around a QA1/UPR K member, they are identical. It is also in their instuctions as well. It took me a little bit to get them oriented but after really looking at them they really only go one way, and no the dipstick does not need to come out.

Good luck with the install, you'll be pleased with the performance!

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I just got done doing this a few months ago for my HP twin kit with shorty headers. I bought my kit used as well and sourced some pics and instructions online. I don't have them saved anymore, just printed out copy.

You have to grind a notch out of the K-member on the passenger side. On the flat plate where the 2 front bolts go to the frame. It was built around a QA1/UPR K member, they are identical. It is also in their instuctions as well. It took me a little bit to get them oriented but after really looking at them they really only go one way, and no the dipstick does not need to come out.

Good luck with the install, you'll be pleased with the performance!
I can assure you the QA1 k member is not the same as the UPR. The UPR had oversized motor mounts where as the QA1 were shorter. I know this because i had a UPR and had to go to a QA1 for this exact reason.

OP just get a QA1, you will not have anymore problems after that.

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
99 GT vert, If I get some instructions I will hook you up. Please keep me in mind if you find some somewhere else, I am still looking all over the place for them!

Thanks for the different ideas guys. Just might have to go with the QA1!

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
I can assure you the QA1 k member is not the same as the UPR. The UPR had oversized motor mounts where as the QA1 were shorter. I know this because i had a UPR and had to go to a QA1 for this exact reason.

OP just get a QA1, you will not have anymore problems after that.
The QA-1 is the right one and everything will fit fine.

BTW, I looked for the instructions and can't seem to find th em. I know I had them as HP e-mailed them to me several years ago. I'm still on the hunt though.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
BTW, I did confirm that HP is out of business (at least for now). I talked to a local dealer who is in contact with Jimmy and Nathan. I've been trying to round up some filters with the larger 4" inlet and they apparently are a custom one made for HP. I know they had pretty bad customer service but at least if they were still in business, you'd eventually get your parts. Oh well.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Also, another word of advice for anybody installing the HP kit. I would highly recommend setting up a scavenger pump system right off the bat along with using oil restrictors. There's about a 98% chance it will smoke if not.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Also, another word of advice for anybody installing the HP kit. I would highly recommend setting up a scavenger pump system right off the bat along with using oil restrictors. There's about a 98% chance it will smoke if not.

i will very shortly be releasing my custom savenge pump system that has a special fabbed tank that is my own design, with a built in sensor that toggles the scavenge pump on when the oil gets to a certain level. I R&D it with my setup and i had no smoke at all.

Yaadman_GT

Yaadman_GT
Established Member
i will very shortly be releasing my custom savenge pump system that has a special fabbed tank that is my own design, with a built in sensor that toggles the scavenge pump on when the oil gets to a certain level. I R&D it with my setup and i had no smoke at all.

More on this and was the system designed around the Exa Pump.

red92

Never To Fast
Established Member
Found the installation manual. E-mails being sent now!

I emailed you back, but wanted to say again thanks brother! You saved the cars life, I was about ready to start using the hammer on her! LOL!

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread