Need help hooking up.....

GRFox

Established Member
I went to the track for the first time ever on Sunday. My car has a Magnagflow cat back, Diablo Sport Tuner, K&N CAI and an MGW SST. On fairly worn Sumitomo 275x40's I ran 13.8 @104 with a 2.3 60' and a 13.7 @ 103 with a 2.2 60'. I was a little disappointed as I was really hoping for low 13s. I spun through 1st a little bit and was shifting around 6400 RPM

My questions are, what is a realistic 60' time for my car with street tires?

Next question would be If I wanted to get a second set of rear wheels with tires to bring to the track with me, what would you guys recomend? Slicks or Drag radials?

How much work goes into getting 15" rims on the front and rear of my Mach, I know guys either need to grind down the banjo bolt (don't even know what that is) or some guys run different rear brakes. OR is it possible hook up with a 17" rim with Drag radials?

Sorry for so many questions, but now I am hooked and want to get back to the track with some better times. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ModularKid'04

Established Member
15x8 Welds or bogarts require no modifications for them to fit on the rear. If you go with slicks, prepare to put axles in your car. you might have the same problem even with DR's. It's luck of the draw. On Nitto 555r's I went 13.2 @ 108 with a terrible 2.2 60'. With more seat time, i think she'd go 12's. That was with full exhaust (LT's) intake and a pro 5.0 short throw. I think Dr's would be fine with the power you're putting down. If you were geared, then a slick would be your best bet. Might want to look into 31 spline axles and diff if you plan on running slicks :burnout:this is just my opinion though :beer:

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
those sumitomos are notoriously hard but a decent radial a 2.0x or maybe even 1.9x 60' should be doable.

with a track tire the DRs have a harder sidewall so it doesnt absorb as much of the shock on a hard launch like the soft sidewall of a slick but with either tire if you dead hook you run a pretty decent chance of breaking an axle...thats not to say you cant just roll into it and still run better than on your street tire

ModularKid'04

Established Member
those sumitomos are notoriously hard but a decent radial a 2.0x or maybe even 1.9x 60' should be doable.

with a track tire the DRs have a harder sidewall so it doesnt absorb as much of the shock on a hard launch like the soft sidewall of a slick but with either tire if you dead hook you run a pretty decent chance of breaking an axle...thats not to say you cant just roll into it and still run better than on your street tire

^This

GRFox

Established Member
Yea...the sumi's are pretty well worn so that could be why. Do they make slicks for a 17" rim? I may just order 2 10.5" bullet style rims to slap slicks on.

C.Hicks26

SVT-888
Established Member
If you want you could just get some v6 mustang wheels 15 or 16's for cheap and get a bias ply or drag radial to fit them and run it like that. Right now a street tire will do fine on the car just need more seat time. My car when it was 2v with bolt ons pulled 1.9's with 315's all the time and i ran a best of 13.46 at 104mph. When i swapped to my mach motor and note my car is a 5spd convertible, on the same rim and tire set up (17x10.5 rears with n555 315's) ran a best of 12.89 with 1.9 60ft and the car has 4.30's. Just learn the car some more at the track and you will get those times down dramatically. There is a huge difference from knowing your car on the street and at the track.

GRFox

Established Member
Follow up question. At what point do i need 31 Spline axles and diff? If I order a set of Drs or some Nitto 555s Im going to get sine traction, would just upgrading my 28 spline axels with some Mosers be strong enough for say 400rwhp launching on radials?

DarkMach1

Established Member
Follow up question. At what point do i need 31 Spline axles and diff? If I order a set of Drs or some Nitto 555s Im going to get sine traction, would just upgrading my 28 spline axels with some Mosers be strong enough for say 400rwhp launching on radials?

Probably easier for you to just check the FS section of several mustang sites and pick up what comes up, usually a set of bullits or cobras with 275 DRs. As far as the rear, change the fluid and beat it until it breaks, then get some moser 31 splines and a Trak-lok and be set. At that point the rear with be good for some serious beatings.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
A 15" slick will be much easier on the rear end than a sticky Drag Radial. Id just buy some 555Rs and be done, it will be enough for your mods if you drive it decent. Ive done probably 30 launches on my 15x10" slicks without a problem yet, leaving around 4-5. But if you straight dump the clutch your probably going to break a lot of things.

Also, as far as technique, ive had the best luck dusting the tires off or a couple second 1st gear burnout, leave around 3000rpms just rolling into the gas as your letting the clutch come up. As soon as your rolling and the clutch is engaged hammer it

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
2nd gear get em smoking roll out....stage mid 3k's and drop the clutch. put it to the floor and shift. adjust from there.
:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread