Need help getting front rotors off!!!!!

97NA_Cobra

Established Member
It was time for new brakes and rotors. The Rear rotors and brakes went on without any problems. I got to the front and I ran into a big problem. The old rotors are stuck on the hub. They've been taken off before so there are no washers that need to be cut off. They look to be rusted on. The new pads went on without any trouble, I just can't get the rotors off. Maybe I'm not using the right tools, but I've tried WD40, Liquid wrench, and a BFH. They won't budge. Any ideas???

96badvenm

Established Member
they should just slide right off. Since you are replacing the rotors, beat the hell out of the old ones and pund them off and lossen them up. Once they lossed they should come off no problem.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Clean off the hub with a wire brush. It needs to be clean.

Heat the ROTOR (center area) with a torch. When it is very hot.. take a BIG hammer, and hit one side of the FACE of the rotor HARD.

Then tap the back side of the rotor to get it off. Hit it on top, then on bottom, top, then bottom. Alternate and slowly shimmy the rotor off.

If the hub is clean it will slide off after you move it a small bit.

hotpony

Established Member
If you can't get it off with a hammer (I usually just hit right around the studs where the spindle meets the rotor after drenching it in PB rust penetrator and letting soak for 15-20 minutes).. Then you can use a torch, just heat it up real good around the lugs and hit it some more.. Should come right off!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Krazydogg82 said:
Use some wd-40 around the hub and studs. Let it soak it for 15 min., then beat the hell out of the rotor with a rubber mallet. Took me like five minutes on each side
That's exactly what I was gonna say. You must drive your car up north where there's alot of salt on the roads in the winter or alot of rain during the year!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Continue using the BFH
When installing the new ones, throw some antisieze on the back of the hub.

97NA_Cobra

Established Member
SKMCOBRA said:
You must drive your car up north where there's alot of salt on the roads in the winter or alot of rain during the year!

The car came from Oregon, so that may have something to do with it.

When I get back home I'll go to town on it and let you guys know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread