Need help, fuel shutoff

SBSnake

Established Member
alright guys im hoping some of you have had this problem before or just know what might cause it. My cobra keeps shutting off on me randomly, first time happened when i was driving and now it does it much more often. The car starts and idles fine, even drives fine and then randomly the gauges will all fall all the way to the right like the car is shut off and the motor will die. It wont start immediately after shutting off, but if i turn the ignition off and back on after a minute it will start back up perfectly. I replaced the IAC hoping that was the problem, but no such luck. So ive narrowed it down to the actual computer, or someone just mentioned to me that there is some sort of relay box inside the pass fender that controls fuel pumps and fans? Could this be my problem? If any of you guys can offer suggestions please do because i cant even drive it anywhere to have it looked at because it wont stay running for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. :shrug:

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
you can try to replace the frps, that might be going bad. dont really know if the sendors could give up slowly or all at once

SBSnake

Established Member
hey 04, thanks man i havent even thought about it being the FRPS ill have to check into that. Anybody else? Shes been sitting for a couple months and im itchin to get her back on the road

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
When that happened to me (in another, older car), it was the fuel pump. When cold, it would run, but the pump would heat up and the car would die. Let it cool down for 5 minutes and it would start back up, then die again a few minutes later. In that case, the tank had run out of gas shortly before that started to happen.

SBSnake

Established Member
thanks BIT, i thought about the fuel pump first thing but the car just turned over 40K and i didnt think it would be bad that soon but its worth a shot taking a look at too. Started it up in the driveway today and it ran about 10 minutes before shutting off. When yours cut off was it immediate? I mean my car doesnt even hesitate or seem like its about to cut off, theres no warning it sounds like someone just turned the ignition off:shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
In my case it felt like I just ran out of gas, but that was in a different (non-Ford) vehicle. I would think that putting a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve might help diagnose if it's the fuel pump. A good shop ought to be able to determine that pretty quickly.

SBSnake

Established Member
well see the problem is the car wont stay running long enough for me to get it to the shop, and ive never had to trailer a car before so i dont really know anybody that even has one i could use or borrow

Users who are viewing this thread