Need help from the computer experts out there

badass98vert

Established Member
Im pretty smart when it comes to computers but im having a huge issue and cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. im running windows 7 on a 6 month old hp dv6 laptop and am having major permission issues. Im being locked out of a handful of programs that will otherwise run on identical computers but on mine it gives me "the item referred to cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions" Im the d*** admin! how i dont have permission for certain programs makes absolutely no sense. I run kaspersky anti virus and it picks up nothing. i have also ran mallwarebytes and it picked up nothing major but now is not working just like the others. the computer is running just fine with everything else. the most recent program to do this was itunes right after i updated it. it was running fine before and now gives me the permissions error after the update. any help would be great cause im at the point now that im just gonna wipe the hard drive and re-install windows.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Right click on program, and there's an option that says run as Admin. If you don't wanna do that for future uses, right click on program, go to properties, go to the run as tab and click the box where it says always run as admin. This should fix it.

badass98vert

Established Member
ive done that and it does the same thing, as well as checked all the properties and everything is how it should be. i even had tech support remote desktop in a while back and they couldnt even figure it out, its mind boggling.

badams03

Established Member
If you just updated the computer, it might have set your UAC(user account control) back to default.
Type UAC in the search bar from the start button and move it to never notify or the setting above it.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If you just updated the computer, it might have set your UAC(user account control) back to default.
Type UAC in the search bar from the start button and move it to never notify or the setting above it.
I wouldnt recommend that as it will make it as vulnerable as Win XP.

O.P you can either unlock the hidden admin acct or change this in your registry. I would do the latter, would make thins a lot easier to take ownership from a right click.

Take Ownership of Vista/Win 7

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
For the hell of it try this ...

Start -> type in cmd in the start search bar -> right click cmd run as admin -> type sfc /scannow -> hit enter

After it finishes check for issue.

badams03

Established Member

badass98vert

Established Member
O.P you can either unlock the hidden admin acct or change this in your registry. I would do the latter, would make thins a lot easier to take ownership from a right click.

Worked!! thanks bluesnake :rockon:

Do you know why this has to be done? Ive never run into this where a single user computer has these issues. I had to take control of the entire itunes folder on the c drive cause i was locked out of that. Could this have happened from a virus i got and didnt know about that changed registry settings or something? for instance, why does my gf's computer running the exact same way not have this issue?

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Worked!! thanks bluesnake :rockon:

Do you know why this has to be done? Ive never run into this where a single user computer has these issues. I had to take control of the entire itunes folder on the c drive cause i was locked out of that. Could this have happened from a virus i got and didnt know about that changed registry settings or something? for instance, why does my gf's computer running the exact same way not have this issue?
Glad it worked :beer:
It's a bug from UAC, its being done for security reasons but sometimes it doesnt work as expected. It's rare to have files like these being locked out even as an Admin.

badass98vert

Established Member
yeah and to be locked out after an update and fine before seems so strange. And there is still one program i need that wont even install because of the permission issue, so i cant take control of something that isnt there yet. is there another registry fix to just make everything under my control?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
yeah and to be locked out after an update and fine before seems so strange. And there is still one program i need that wont even install because of the permission issue, so i cant take control of something that isnt there yet. is there another registry fix to just make everything under my control?
You can try to install it under safe mode networking or create a registry which is a bit tricky to do and can mess things up. A bit weird that you're having these types of problems, have you updated your windows 7?

EDIT: Forgot to add, you need to download a program called SAFEMSI and use it to install the programs under safe mode

Last edited:

badass98vert

Established Member
yeah i have, i have it set to update automatically. And i just restarted the computer and now itunes is not working all over again, same thing. taking control doesnt work now. im not locked out of the folder anymore but it wont open itunes directly from the executable file or shotcuts. i dont get this at all.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Computer Pro Tip#1 Spend more than 10 minutes trying to fix problem, reformat.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Very true, probably what im going to end up spending my night doing

Actually it the lazy way out and a good tech can find and fix the problem .... but you have to ask yourself if its worth the time and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread