Need Help from Cobra pros

JAVZCOBRA

Established Member
Hey folks, need help from those of you mechanically inclined. I took my 98 Cobra to the dealership for a P1516 code (IMRC). They replaced the module and gave me the car back the nxt day. Now I noticed that my odometer doesnt work. RPM and Speed still accurate but Im not getting mileage. A friend told that the gears from the odometer may have been stripped with time, and thats why it no longer works. Has anyone else had this problem, and how can it be fixed. I dont want to take it back to the dealership for various reasons, but mainly because they are going to think I was messing with it or disconnected to conceal actual mileage. I have warranty until 6/04, so I have to fix it quick just in case I have other probs in the future. Any help would be great thx in advance.

Jav
98 COBRA 23,000 miles on it

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
When I replaced my instrument cluster bezel, the trip mileage wasn't working afterwards. The mileage works fine, but no trip mileage. Don't know if it's your problem, but there is no cable running to the speedometer. That instrument gets it's power from a plug-in electrical cable behind the cluster. There may be a bad connection, or it may have just quit working. There's also a Speed Sensor wire at the trans. This may figure in somewhere.

I'd tell Ford about it and try for a new speedometer. You don't want to have to pay for one later on - they cost like hell.

Dan

http://users2.ev1.net/~w8368/must2.htm

Last edited:

SNK BITN

Established Member
Well if you speedo cable was out you wouldnt get an rpm or speedo readout either. Have you got on it yet? See if you could get to redline, you might find that the rpm and speedo just drop after 4K rpm or so (give or take). Thats what happened when my speedo cable busted. Take it back to ford and let me know.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
SNK BITN:

I know , I have a '95, but where is your speedometer cable located? I don't have one (one that goes to the speedometer). I was under the impression that only an electrical signal went to the cluster.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread