need help fast

hi_po_heads

Established Member
ok i started pulling off the factory h-pipe on my 99. i assume it has never been off before because the nuts are a pita to get loose. with that said i cant get to the nut thats up next to the starter solenoid. at the collector. i have everything else loose but cannot get that one.

so enlighten me what is the trick to getting this sucker off.

hi_po_heads

Established Member
i did soak it, but my problem is actually getting the socket on the nut. i cant find a way to get it on straight enough to catch.

Chris's Cobra

Shredder
Established Member
i dont think there is any way to get the h pipe bolt through there. i looked but (are you talking starter bolt) or manifold/h-pipe?

he is talking about getting to the one starter bolt that is a pita, he must have misunderstood you. to get all the ones ive taken off before i take a medium 15mm because the deep you cant get straight on it because its to tall and the regular socket isnt deep enougn. take the 15mm medium socket, a swivel and an extension and it should work out perfect.... your talking about the bottom one on the passenger side right? ive probably taken off 15+ xpipes this way and had no problems. soak it in pb blaster as stated above though. now get to it! :beer:

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
he is talking about getting to the one starter bolt that is a pita, he must have misunderstood you. to get all the ones ive taken off before i take a medium 15mm because the deep you cant get straight on it because its to tall and the regular socket isnt deep enougn. take the 15mm medium socket, a swivel and an extension and it should work out perfect.... your talking about the bottom one on the passenger side right? ive probably taken off 15+ xpipes this way and had no problems. soak it in pb blaster as stated above though. now get to it! :beer:

X10000000:beer:

couldn't of said it better

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I used my angle grinder to make my deep socket into a "right sized" socket. Even though it's a Craftsman socket, I don't think they'll warrantee this one!

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
...i take a medium 15mm because the deep you cant get straight on it because its to tall and the regular socket isnt deep enougn...

Perfect explanation. :beer:

15mm mid length socket FTW...

a15mm_Mid_socket.gif

hi_po_heads

Established Member
ok i finally got the factory pipe off the car. but the stud came out of the manifold. why is everything difficult when you start modding? i hope to get the nut off the stud and put it back in the man. to make things a little easier with install.

hi_po_heads

Established Member
well now i started to bolt up my new x pipe and it wont tighten up on the drivers side. there are spacers on both studs. will these spacers come off?

i tried to tighten it up with the spacers still on bit the pipe doesnt seal off.

any suggestions!

hi_po_heads

Established Member
well now i started to bolt up my new x pipe and it wont tighten up on the drivers side. there are spacers on both studs. will these spacers come off?

i tried to tighten it up with the spacers still on bit the pipe doesnt seal off.

any suggestions!

i tried a little more to get them off, they will turn but do not come off the studs and i cant get the studs out of the manifold.:fm:

Chris's Cobra

Shredder
Established Member
i dont remember if mine had them, i take it your running out of thread right? maybe take a couple washers, however thick you need and put them behind the flange on the mid pipe and that should give you enough to where it will tighten down, if not maybe grind the spacers off.... i dont recall seeing spacers before, but maybe i didnt look hard enough.

Tango7

Established Member
I looked again at mine and yes on the drivers side the studs have a spacer.. Like someone else said if you are running out of threads just use some washers..

hi_po_heads

Established Member
i finally got it on. my x-pipe came with an extra ball socket. i had to use one inside the other to make it work with the spacers.

has anyone else experienced this. it took me a whole day just to change mid pipes and the sotp dyno felt no different.

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
i finally got it on. my x-pipe came with an extra ball socket. i had to use one inside the other to make it work with the spacers.

has anyone else experienced this. it took me a whole day just to change mid pipes and the sotp dyno felt no different.

Yep.. all of the above. Except I started mine at 9pm on a Sunday. I wonder if good x pipes actually fit right? Mine needed new manifold studs to seal totally on the ball flange + welds on the slip joints.

Tango7

Established Member

that is what the extra ball socket is for.. I just installed a pypes x-pipe yesterday and mine had that. I used it and had no problems sealing..

Users who are viewing this thread