Need help fast! Car is over heating and fan wont turn on!

TEX-STANG

Established Member
Ok Ill try to be brief and descriptive....im driving my 03 Cobra with 120,000 miles on it with the A/C full blast like usual then I feel heat from the A/C so I check my temperature and notice its getting hot....I watch it for 2 min. because im thinking ok well im in traffic and its 95 degrees outside. It gets almost to the "H" so I pull over cool her down check the water its fine....I add a little coolant but not it wouldnt take much at all(maybe a half a cup).
I start the car up and hear a sort of knocking or clattering noise....my first thought was oh no the motor but the sound was coming from the front pully area....so I let it cool down some more.....I then try to drive to my job a few miles away but only made it a mile down to the next gas station because I smell a terrible burning smell......sort of like when you burn the clutch or let your brakes go metal to metal...and its coming thru my A/C vents.....but I have the heater on to let out hot air. So I pull over and dont risk driving anymore and call a tow truck. Now I never let it get to the "H" the closest it got was a quarter away from the "H". Im waiting for the tow truck for an hour and just before he gets there I had to move the car....so I start it up with no more knocking/clattering noise and the temp is at dead center. Once at home later that night I check the Radiator fan and its not turning on.....I change the fuse and try to see if it turns on but it wont and it burns out that fuse. Also I find that my A/C will only blow hot air so I come to the conclusion that my A/C compressor is done.....so I thought maybe thats why I blew the new fan fuse so I unplug the A/C compressor and put in a new fan fuse and the fan still wont turn on and that fuse blew out to....So whats going on???? I got to get the fan working so I can get the car to an A/C shop with out the car heating up and its my daily driver so I really have to get this done asap.
Has anyone been thru this before.....do I need a new fan is it that simple or what? Why does the Fan fuse blow out?
Thanks for any help!

hotcobra03

Established Member
hot

+2 on the fan

check the ring that holds the finns around the outside of the fan ,,,they break and stop fan from spinning;;

fwiw i would change the oil also before driving again;;

also if you didnt know you have to bleed/burp the system when you refill your radiator

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
This same thing happened to me. Like stated above, the ring that holds the fins could've broken. I bought and installed a 14 in. Mishimoto fan from American Muscle, replaced the 50 amp fuse and its now running great.

Users who are viewing this thread