Need help, engine stalled

flip_86

Established Member
Just built motor, First start up yesterday. started up great, ran for 45min in the shop, all different rpms, shut down, checked fluids, road tested, drove for 2 to 3 miles, different rpms and speeds, turned around to head back your the shop, halfway back it started to run a little rough, then immediately stalled, no check engine light, no unusual noises. I checked fluids again, tried to restart, starter sounded like it was trying but wouldn't turn the motor at all. Towed back to shop, tried again, still wouldn't turn.

Came back this morning, tried again, motor would turn but only a couple seconds, charged the battery, tried again, turned over several full rotations slowly, wouldn't start, charged some more, battery is at 13.3 at this point, tried to turn but wouldn't.

Any ideas? Truck is tuned for the build, diamond pistons, gt500 rods, mild cams, mild port stock heads, arp studs, sleeved block, machine shop did the block work, fit the Pistons ect. 2.3 whipple

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Pull the plugs and then try to turn it over by hand, sounds like a hydrolock, maybe the gaskets didn't hold and are leaking coolant in bad places.

flip_86

Established Member
I can't see a hydrolock occurring while the engine was running, i'my still going to pull the plugs out and look inside anyway, try to turn it by hand again. since I didn'the hear any horrible noises i'my thinking maybe piston to wall clearance was too tight maybe, or ring gap. anything else would have made some noise

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
I agree on hydro while running. If something broke or came loose is most likely, just saying the current condition of no turn over "sounds" like hydro lock. It could have dropped a valve, or any number of very unpleasant things. Just have to go with the basics to see if it can be fixed in place or have to be yanked again.

Users who are viewing this thread