Need help deciding what to do.

cmac29

Established Member
A couple months back I had my ring gear bolts back out and one slung through my ford diff cover. All of them were loose and some even stretched. I did a gear change, put an frpp 373 gear, frpp 31 spline diff, level 2 dss half shafts, ftbr bushings spent a lot of money and time needless to say. I did all this about 2 years ago, it probably had 5 to 6k miles on it. Everything was torqued correctly used loctite etc. So the gear both ring and Pinon still look new. I can't see anything wrong with the half shafts but the diff spyder gears were knife edged bad and of course metal was all inside the pumpkin. So this time I ordered a 31 spline eaton truetrac, new bearings, and a cover. I'm debating on suspension, the new G-Force half shafts, Xaxis kit and maybe heim-joint adjustable end links. Or just replace what's bad and keep rolling. Maybe spend that money on a new motor, cams, heads etc. What would you do if you were me?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Did you set the ring and pinion up right and check for back lash? Shim it? Or just throw it together? I'd fix this first, if your axle shafts aren't broken why replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I had a couple bolts do that to me once. I've done 15+ gear swaps and only had the issue once. It chewed the bolt heads, but didn't destroy anything. This was in my old 93 fox body, so it wasn't an aluminum housing thankfully.

cmac29

Established Member
I just would like to have the peace of mind knowing this IRS is strong as it can be and reading about the new G-Force half shafts they have done there homework. I see a lot of guys using the MMR adjustable end links and the Xaxis upgrade isn't that bad on price either. I guess I'll make a decision soon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread