Need help deciding on which polish

yellow03vert

Established Member
I have a DSG cobra with minor swirl marks and a few light scratches. I already have a porter cable and I know I am going to get several orange and white pads and a grey all in 5.5". I also want to get the poorboys black hole glaze topped with Ex-P. My question is would I be better to get poorboys ssr 2.5/ssr 1 or Meg's 105/205? I have done a ton a searching and can't find which is better. Thanks

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I would go with the M105/M205 combo, works very well and will give you great results. I have never been a fan of Poorboy's

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
It seems like more people have been going with that combo. Do most cars need to do both or can you just do the 205?

You'll want both at some point.

Also, you don't want to try and top a glaze with EX-P.

Sealants don't bond well over glazes.

If you really want to stick with Poorboy's; go with BH and EX.

You may want to look into Clearkote Red Machine Glaze (RMG) and follow with Clearkote Carn. Moose Wax; or Optimum Car Wax. Granted, OCW is a liquid 'spray' but it has a great look to it.

Or skip the glaze all together and use Optimum OptiSeal or Zaino ClearSeal. Do that if you really want the metallic to 'pop'.

Any glaze you use on the metallic will tend to bring out the base color and mute the metallic look.

yellow03vert

Established Member
So would the optimum kit be a good choice (Compound,polish,optiseal) instead of the meg's 105/205 with black hole glaze and Ex-P? Sorry for all the questions I just want to get the best stuff for the job without spending a insane amount of money.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
105/205 is much more versatile than the current Opt. line of polishes. This combo will also work spectacularly well via rotary if you ever decide to make that jump, but it works nicely via PC too and will tackle virtually anything you encounter as far as paint correction goes.

Might want to re-read what I said about putting EX-P over BlackHole. Sealants do not like to bond over a glaze; it renders them virtually useless. Swap to Poorboy's EX or another carnauba based wax if you intend to use the glaze.

Last edited:

yellow03vert

Established Member
Thanks for your help, I wrote the wrong thing I meant to put black hole glaze topped with Ex. The only reason I thought of getting Ex-P was in did not have any wax, because I thought it would mute the the metallic. Do you think I would be better with the bh glaze topped with Ex or skip the glaze and just put Ex-P after the 105/205? I am not set on getting a glaze I just read that it fills imperfections well and adds wetness/shine.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If you don't want to mute the metallic, go with EX-P by itself. No glaze.

I'm not a huge fan of EXP. Durability stinks and for whatever reason it seemed abnormally susceptible to contaminant etching/bonding. Like anything would stick to the paint...bird drops, random stuff.

Meg's M21 sealant, Opt. OptiSeal, Zaino Clearseal, Wolfgang Sealant 3.0, Clearkote Carn. Moose Wax or Mother's Reflections line would all be worth considering.

M21 is probably the best "bang for your buck" with Mother's Reflections running a super-underrated 2nd. Optiseal/ClearSeal are pretty similar overall, but OptiSeal has a little 'richer/wetter' look to it whereas ZCS is more 'pure' but also kind of has a plasticy look without richness, but it doesn't mute the metallic at all (neither do really).

yellow03vert

Established Member
I will get all meg's this time and see what happens. I have always had good luck with their OTC products so I am sure the things you have suggested will look great. Thanks again

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ Meg's isn't the end all best; but their newer products offer a nice balance of bang for your buck and look/perform as well or better than several of the boutique products now.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Exactly what Matt said

Good bang for your buck! Is it the best? No because there are so many products out there but they are very versatile and a good product to have in your arsenal.

yellow03vert

Established Member
I will try the meg's this time and try something different next time and see what works the best. I think I might try the optimum waxes/sealents next or maybe the wolfgang stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread