Need help dating a Vintage Fender Mustang

tradewife4SVT

Established Member
My Dad just gave me his vintage Fender Mustang i believe it is a 1966-1967 according to what i believe is the serial number on the headstock. Does any know a for sure way to find out what year it was made? any help would be great.

Last edited:

Lightning Lad

Established Member
Most of the time the best way to find information on a mustang is by unscrewing the neck plate, pulling the neck out of the joint, and looking down the neck longways.I've got a beater Japanese 90's mustang with a Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge that I love to death.The serial numbers on the back of the head stock may also help.Do you play guitar?, if not it might be better to take it to someone who does because older fender guitars are very valuable and it would suck to damage one, no offense.

tradewife4SVT

Established Member
No offense taken i do play guitar been playing for a long time but i still wont take it apart. The guitar has way more sentimental value to me then actual dollars. I was just wondering for the fun of it. Mine also has the Dimarzio pick ups in it i had to replace the original ones kinda makes me sad but the Dimarzios sound awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread