Need help car wont start

trojan8022

I hate lug nuts & studs
Established Member
Ok car has been down for about 2 weeks can’t figure out what’s going on.. Not sure if this has ever happen to any of you guys.. Well to start my battier connections was looking really really bad a clot of corrosion... so I went to switch them out switched the neg. side about 3 weeks before this no issues.. Went to switch the pos. side when I got the connections put back together my car wont start “with a 200apm start or with out”.. It gets power lights and gauges move.. But the car will only make a clicking sound.. I ck the starter and the solenoid.. I broke the solenoid so I got a whole new starter/solenoid.. Nothing change.. I ck battier just fine put a new one in no go.. I hook up a 200amp starter on the battier and no change.. ck the ground looks ok but when I cut the wire away a little there is a lot of corrosion threw the wire.. All the fuse look ok that can tell but im not sure what to ck for or look at.. Sorry for the messed up post but im just so confessed right now I don’t know what to do .. Any help would be great

O forgot this is on my 98 Cobra

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
i also had this same problem.....after about 3 freaking long weaks working on it, it turned out to be my ground on the battery. Try that....that may be it!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
/\ /\ Agree /\ /\

I spent 3 or 4 days on the floor of my garage fighting my starter problem. New starter, same problem ... Ended up being a loose battery NEG cable loose where it connects to the engine block! If there are signs of corrosion, you may have to replace the cable. There's no telling how far it has spread.

Use the jumper cable method for checking the ground circuit. Connect one end of one of the jumper cables to the battery NEG terminal, and the other end of the same cable to a good solid ground on the engine block. If it starts that way, you have a faulty ground between the battery and the engine.

Dan

trojan8022

I hate lug nuts & studs
Established Member
Sweet that what i was looking at next.. have to wait for ford to order no one has it in stock right now..

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Are you ordering a new OEM battery NEG cable set? Man, that's some big dollars.

I bought an aftermaket cable from Auto Zone. I couldn't tighten my cable or remove it, without removing the radiator. Tied the old cable down next to the battery.

Dan

trojan8022

I hate lug nuts & studs
Established Member
i got the cable from ford today .. got the old off and the new on .. ended up being the whole kit "pos/neg cords".. still doing the same thing.. it clicks but will not start up... that with the 200 apm engine start

Users who are viewing this thread