Need help, car won't start, starter engages but doesn't spin the flywheel

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Looking for some help as I getting frustrated. My 98 Cobra was running fine decided to stop for some gas and then went to start it and only heard three clicks...thought it was the battery so tried to get a jump still nothing, but now only hearing one click. Got a push and popped the clutch and the car started right up, and ran great home. Pulled it into the garage and tried to start it again and same, only one click. So thought it must be a starter issue, got a new one. - took the old one out(by the way that third top bolt is a serious pain to get out) and installed the new starter. Went to start her up, same thing, only one click. Just as a test i then took off the ground quick release connector from the battery, and connected it directly to the battery...went to start it, click, then turned over and started right up. Was happy as I thought that was the fix, let it run for a few minutes then shut it off and tried to start again, but only one click and no start. So dug deeper, tested all wires for voltage, battery is good, everything checks out. Then ran jumper cables from the wires that connect to the starter to the starter sitting outside of the car, got in and turned the key and the starter worked as it should - engaged and then spun. So now I'm very confused, as the engine runs fine(60k miles) and if all power is being sent correctly to engage and spin the starter when outside the car how come when not installed? Is there any sensors I should look into here? Seems as though it cant spin the flywheel for what ever reason. I'm really puzzled and would
appreciate any ideas or experience in a solution. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I am betting you have a bad ground wire. It takes a lot more current to turn the starter and the flywheel than it does to spin up the starter out of the car. Check the one bottom front of the engine.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I had a similar problem, I just added another ground off the starter and its worked fine since. *knock on wood*

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
I am betting you have a bad ground wire. It takes a lot more current to turn the starter and the flywheel than it does to spin up the starter out of the car. Check the one bottom front of the engine.

Where about is the ground at the front? Thanks for the help guys - appreciate it.

goat-ee

Established Member
How did you check the battery? If you didn't take it up to your local parts store and have them put it on there machine, you haven't had it checked properly, THIS is your 1st thing to make sure is correct. It may show proper voltage with a volt meter, but go to crap with a load, get it checked. If you have done that, sounds like you not getting a good ground.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
How did you check the battery? If you didn't take it up to your local parts store and have them put it on there machine, you haven't had it checked properly, THIS is your 1st thing to make sure is correct. It may show proper voltage with a volt meter, but go to crap with a load, get it checked. If you have done that, sounds like you not getting a good ground.

But he jumped it and it worked so a ground is probably bad

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member

But he jumped it and it worked so a ground is probably bad

I tested the battery, and then bought a new battery just to make sure...same result :nonono:

svtnotch

Established Member
theres no ground theres a power to kick the starter out and a signal wire that spins it. sounds like the signal is not touching or hooked up. signal wire will the very small thin wire that goes to the solenoid

goat-ee

Established Member
theres no ground theres a power to kick the starter out and a signal wire that spins it. sounds like the signal is not touching or hooked up. signal wire will the very small thin wire that goes to the solenoid

This ^^^^ I didn't think of, but yea, if the power wire to the starter or associated wire(s) is loose it would have these same symptoms. Try checking all wiring going to the starter and make sure they are tight and you haven't got a wire loose!!

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Quick Test For Battery Ground

Here's something one of our brother members told me to do on my '95 a few years ago ... it worked, too. I had already pulled my starter two or three times, and then installed a new starter - SAME THING! I was on my third day of laying on the ground under the Cobra.

Get a set of jumper cables - use only one of the cables, and connect one end to the neg batt terminal, and the other end to a good solid ground nearby on the engine. If it starts now, you surely have a ground problem.

I fixed mine by buying a new (quality) ground wire, and running it from the batt to the front of the engine. Never had another problem.

Dan
Cibolo

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Here's something one of our brother members told me to do on my '95 a few years ago ... it worked, too. I had already pulled my starter two or three times, and then installed a new starter - SAME THING! I was on my third day of laying on the ground under the Cobra.

Get a set of jumper cables - use only one of the cables, and connect one end to the neg batt terminal, and the other end to a good solid ground nearby on the engine. If it starts now, you surely have a ground problem.

I fixed mine by buying a new (quality) ground wire, and running it from the batt to the front of the engine. Never had another problem.

Dan
Cibolo

Good idea, I'm going to try that right now. I'll report back. Thanks everyone for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread