NEED HELP! Car Wont Idle or Run! **VIDEOS**

1s9v9t7

Demand It All
Established Member
I'll give you the run down with links to the videos at the end.

Started about 4 months ago. Coming back from a car show, car ran great. Stopped in front of the house to back up into the drive way, car just dies and will not start back up. Got frustrated and let the car sit in front of the house for the night. Next day, car started up, revved it up, all good. parked it in the garage, letting it run for a minute. All good. Couple days later I jump in and go for a drive, get about 2 miles from the house and she just dies. Downshifted, and the RPMs just drop to zero. No warning lights, no noises, no nothing. All the electronics working just fine. But it was below 1/4 tank of fuel. So I figure, just maybe! Walk back to the gas station, the car sits for about 45min. I get back, throw in 2 gallons. She starts right up. I drive back to the gas station and fill up. Leave the gas station, get about another couple miles and AGAIN! car just dies.
Now I'm blocking traffic, pissed as hell. I walk away for a minute to cool off, car sits for maybe 25 minutes. I start her, she struggles but gets started then I haul ass back to my house, about a mile, Revving it all the way up. She makes it, but just as I pull in the driveway she dies. I let it sit for a couple days, try to start it so I can get her in the garage, but nothing. Just wont start.

I got a couple of friends to help push her in the garage. Since I was leaving the country in the next few days I just let her sit. She sat in the garage for 3 1/2 months. When I got back I bought a new battery for her and attempted to get her started. The videos are of the attempts.

Extra info, when I turn the key you can hear the fuel pump wine up and pressurize.
She has 50,xxx miles on her. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the fuel filter.
I am open to any thoughts or ideas! Thank You!!

Video one:
Attempting to start her normally. She ignites right off, RPMs come up then stumble and die. I'm not giving it gas.
Key on, she starts then dies, I try to re start again and nothing. But when I turn the key all the way off then back on and start it, it actually starts then dies.

[video]https://youtu.be/ysdMvQ_WOjU[/video]

Video Two:
In this video, once I turn the key and she starts, I attempt to give it gas. Immediately Dies at the slightest touch of the gas pedal.

[video]https://youtu.be/RwlK8-KkEUw[/video]

Video Three:
Outside view of attempt at normal starting. The loud sucking sound when the engine dies is coming from the Air Filter

[video]https://youtu.be/66vR2aXHsIE[/video]

Video Four:
Same as Video Three. Same sucking sound from the filter.

[video]https://youtu.be/UgkQgxG4Jxg[/video]

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Could be the fuel rail pressure sensor.

What are the mods done to the car? Stock tune? canned tune? dyno tuned? Any engine codes?

Blueline

Established Member
Man that really sounds fuel related. Maybe the fpdm was getting hot (depending on mods) and shutting the pumps down when you were driving. And not the fpdm may just be bad. Check for codes see if anything comes up. Fuel at the shrader valve? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

cj428mach

Established Member
Man that really sounds fuel related. Maybe the fpdm was getting hot (depending on mods) and shutting the pumps down when you were driving. And not the fpdm may just be bad. Check for codes see if anything comes up. Fuel at the shrader valve? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Sounds like a MAF problem, maybe FRPS.

Make sure MAF is plugged in and hasn't become disconnected from the intake tube. I was changing plugs on my car one time and apparently knocked the MAF halfway off. The car drove fine for a few blocks until the MAF fell clean off. Even the lightest amount of throttle wanted to kill it but the car would idle fairly well.

I'd also pull a vacuum line on the FRPS and check it for fuel.

1s9v9t7

Demand It All
Established Member
Well Gents. I believe I found the culprit before I could actually read these replies. And yes, you guessed it! Damn FRPS!! :bash:
My hunches were either MAF or FRPS. Checked the MAF, clean as a whistle. Then did the smell test on the FRPS. No fuel.
Then just for the hell of it, I unplugged the FRPS, Boom, started up and idled like a champ. revved up. Stayed running for 15 minutes.
I then, while the engine was running, plug the FRPS back in. Stumbled and died. Wouldn't re start.
Unplugged it, started right up again.
Looks like she'll be back on the road again soon!

:bowdown: But Seriously! Thank you guys for the quick replies! I could always count on this site for help!! :bowdown: !!

NOW the question, Anyone know where to get on at "good" price? Haha

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Was hust reading glad you found it..

I was going to suggest un plug connector..

I think maf is same way. With un plug as test

Users who are viewing this thread