Need help: Can Magnum 500 wheels fit on '01 Mustang?

CobraJohn01

Established Member
I am trying to find out if the old Magnum 500 wheels can possibly fit on the newer Mustang axels. I saw somewhere that they do make a 17x8 size, and the old ones were 5 lug so I guess all that would keep them from fitting is the bolt pattern? Am I right on this? Is there anyone that has either tried fitting them on a late model Mustang before, or just know for sure whether or not they would fit? I really think they would look cool on my Cobra and I still haven't heard whether or not the new Mach 1 will have an updated version of the Magnum 500's or not.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance:burnout:

raider187

Ne Desit Virtus
Established Member
You need to make sure of the fitment details... I have provided a brief discription, but you can go to www.tirerack.com for better details. (my terms might not be correct, but they should give you a good ideal)

Holes / Hole layout

For the lug holes the size is 5x4.5 or 5x114.3(metric equiv)

the (5) = the amount of holes, the 4.5 0r 114.3 is the layout of the holes on the rim.(spacing)

Offsets

Typically most aftermarket manufactuers make a 24mm offset for the mustang/cobra. Some will use slightly different offsets for a specific reason. The offset is how your rim fits on your vehicle, it determines if your rim will stick out very far (like ricers) or if it will be tucked inside the wheel wells.

-Rick

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you are buying a wheel that is made now, that is a 17, it will probably clear the brakes. Most of the companies like TIRE RACK and Discount Tire Direct will have the style you are looking for. Check with them to see if they have a comparable wheel. Could you post a pic of the wheel you want? My memory is not serving me at all today.

They look kinda like this?
Bullitt.L.dw.gif

Last edited:

CobraJohn01

Established Member
Actually, they look like this. I like the Bullitt wheels, but I want something that no one else has. Not yet anyways. And I thought it would be cool to give it a kind of retro look.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I'm hoping they put out a new 17" wheel in the Magnum 500 design, with the proper backspacing for a modern Mustang. I think that would look fantastic on the new MACH 1. :-D

Cobrahandler

Established Member
there is a company now making the magnum 500 wheel to the current year mustang body/axle sizes. can't remember the name of the company but i do know that classic design concepts has a set on their display car. was at the mca grand national in charlotte over the weekend and the wheels looked great on the silver gt convert.
you may contact them for more info. their address is in most mustang magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread