need help asap !!

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
i was racing my buddy last night and i missed fourth gear. everything was fine until later on that night i put my car into first gear to go and it was this horrible chatter before the car stared going, and this happens in the beginning of every gear . does this have to do with the clutch ? need help asap because i wasnt to take to a mechanic soon.

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
its more like they grind in low rpms like from 2100 to 2400 , after that it runs fine. what do you think the problem is then ?

jacker1991

Established Member
I would say is a problem with the transmission. Won't know for sure until the trans comes down. I wouldn't drive the car though. Good luck and keep us updated.

jacker1991

Established Member
Missing a shift while racing(high RPMs) is no laughing matter, at least not imo. Do you have any issues with the clutch? Is it harder to press? Does it make a noise while you engage/disengage? If the answer is no then I'm pretty sure the clutch is fine. Also, what happens when you press the clutch btw 2.1k and 2.4k? Does the chatter/grind goes away? If it does, does it go away immediately as you press the clutch or does it take like 1-3 secs.

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
Missing a shift while racing(high RPMs) is no laughing matter, at least not imo. Do you have any issues with the clutch? Is it harder to press? Does it make a noise while you engage/disengage? If the answer is no then I'm pretty sure the clutch is fine. Also, what happens when you press the clutch btw 2.1k and 2.4k? Does the chatter/grind goes away? If it does, does it go away immediately as you press the clutch or does it take like 1-3 secs.
actually all those answers are yes, it is harder to press, it makes this clicking noise when i engage/disengage it. and i haven't tried the last part. but i will let you know.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
its more like they grind in low rpms like from 2100 to 2400 , after that it runs fine. what do you think the problem is then ?

You misunderstood what I said.

You tried going into 4th while at a high RPM (you said you were racing) and missed it, which could lead to any number of things breaking or chipping in your transmission. I don't think the clutch is part of the problems you're having now.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
My car did that.... Had a bad chattering or grumbling noise at low rpms but shifted fine. I twisted the input shaft and the noise was it eating the bearing. Who would have thought revving it up and dumping the clutch in second from a roll would hurt the trans lol? Had to do what I had to do back in the day to beat those ls1's. Got it fixed under warranty.

thebestdj07

Established Member
input shaft or shift rail/fork is bent. most likley input shaft though. as it is linked with 4th gear.

Cali01Cobra

Established Member
My car did that.... Had a bad chattering or grumbling noise at low rpms but shifted fine. I twisted the input shaft and the noise was it eating the bearing. Who would have thought revving it up and dumping the clutch in second from a roll would hurt the trans lol? Had to do what I had to do back in the day to beat those ls1's. Got it fixed under warranty.

how much did it cost to get it fixed ?

Users who are viewing this thread