Need Help ASAP

RR5.0

Established Member
I am currently stranded waiting on a wrecker and want to know if anyone has had this same problem or knows how to help with mine.

I have a 2012 5.0 6r80 w/ 4C stall and paxton supercharger. I was driving along at 60 just cruising and the transmission downshifted to 1st and locked the tires up and sent me sideways. Luckily i saved the car but now anything over 30mph in drive it wants to downshift to 1st. In manual select 1-2-3 it is fine, it only does this in drive.

I have tried retuning, return to stock, ive check all the wheel speed sensors at the wheel, replaced fuse 49 (was blown?), unplugged and replugged pcm and abs module. Im at a loss here.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I am currently stranded waiting on a wrecker and want to know if anyone has had this same problem or knows how to help with mine.

I have a 2012 5.0 6r80 w/ 4C stall and paxton supercharger. I was driving along at 60 just cruising and the transmission downshifted to 1st and locked the tires up and sent me sideways. Luckily i saved the car but now anything over 30mph in drive it wants to downshift to 1st. In manual select 1-2-3 it is fine, it only does this in drive.

I have tried retuning, return to stock, ive check all the wheel speed sensors at the wheel, replaced fuse 49 (was blown?), unplugged and replugged pcm and abs module. Im at a loss here.

I was going to say it's the tune because I had the same thing happen to me with a bad tune, but since you have a blown fuse, that would cause me to thing elsewise. What fuse is in slot 49?

RR5.0

Established Member
Fuse 49 is o2 sensors, vct solenoids, evap, and reverse lockout. I have replaced it and the problem persists. I have loaded 3 different tunes from different tuners and the problem persists.

dennisn

Established Member
Fuse 49 is o2 sensors, vct solenoids, evap, and reverse lockout. I have replaced it and the problem persists. I have loaded 3 different tunes from different tuners and the problem persists.

Blown fuse?? Maybe check make sure no wiring is near any exhaust or something got pinched, burnt, or knicked.

RR5.0

Established Member
Ive recheck all fuses. There was a wheel speed sensor wire melted together near the over axle pipes. I fixed it and reset the battery and am still experiencing the same problems

RR5.0

Established Member
Ive gone through the car with a ford scanner. No codes of any kind. No abs codes, no trans codes. No fuses blown now. All wires in good shape. Car continues to do the same thing.

As soon as it shifts into 4th the car acts like its in 1st rather than 4th gear. From my research the only difference in 1st and 4th as solenoids go is that Shift solenoid E is off in 4th gear and on in 1st. This is a Normally closed solenoid. If is malfunctioning would that cause my problem?

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Bump, need some input.

I honestly think it's something in relation to the blown fuse. Its just odd, or coincidental that the fuse is blown, while this is going on. Something is causing it to blow. The scanner wont pick up codes from a blown fuse usually.

I would find a wiring schematic, and thoroughly go thru each wire that is in relation to that fuse. It could be something as simple as its reading the reverse loss signal and is causing the 4th solenoid to shut off, and since the speed sensors show the car moving forward, its not allowing it to kick into reverse, otherwise shift into 1st...

RR5.0

Established Member
wiring diagram.png
wiring diagram 2.png
wiring diagram 3.png

These are the only wiring diagrams I can find in relation to that fuse. The fuse has not blown again but I continue to have this problem. Would a solenoid sticking cause this issue? In 1st gear SSA and SSB are on SSE (normally closed) is ON. In 4th gear SSA and SSB are on but SSE is OFF. Could SSE be an issue?

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
View attachment 61365
View attachment 61366
View attachment 61367

These are the only wiring diagrams I can find in relation to that fuse. The fuse has not blown again but I continue to have this problem. Would a solenoid sticking cause this issue? In 1st gear SSA and SSB are on SSE (normally closed) is ON. In 4th gear SSA and SSB are on but SSE is OFF. Could SSE be an issue?

Honestly this is out of my league. Mike Roush with Midatlantic performance is a super nice guy with great customer service. I would give him a call and just ask him. He's not out to make money off everyone, and is supposed to be a pro with the A6. He definitely could tell you the possibilities, and point you in the right direction.

RR5.0

Established Member
anyone else? I'm installing Shift Solenoid E tomorrow along with a fluid/filter change to see if this will solve the problem. After that I guess its a wiring chasedown.

RR5.0

Established Member
Keeping this updated as I go. Returned the car to stock and reflashed the tune and cleared the p1639 code. Drove it around and the first few shifts were alright, but it eventually started doing the same thing again. Codes p0770 and p0773 came up. Shift solenoid E and shift solenoid E electrical. Just replaced with a brand new solenoid and checked the molded lead in the valve body. Im leaning towards a short to ground or open between transmission connector and the pcm. Any help or experience is appreciated.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
this sounds similar to an issue i'm having with a recently swapped 6R80.

not engaging 2nd or 4th. hope you come up with some good info here. i'm curious what mine could be.

RR5.0

Established Member
So on my test drive tonight after checking all wires in the transmission harness it continued to do it again. The problem only occurs once the vehicle is warm. I can let off of the gas and it will eventually shift into 4th. The scanner says the car is in 4th the entire time this is occuring. Also a new problem has surfaced. While driving the traction control light will flash and it feels like the rear brakes are kicking in slightly.

Im going to replace the abs sensor that melted wires to eliminate that for sure.

My only ideas are if the physical valve on shift solenoid E is damaged in some way or the computer is damaged internally or in the programming.

RR5.0

Established Member
Update: according to my datalog when the issue occurs the transmission believes it is selecting 4th gear however all transmission solenoids are at maximum pressure and transmission line pressure is at 2200kpa.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread