Need help asap (steering bolt stripped...)

kitsune1324

Established Member
Hey guys, some shit happened and I ended up stripping the insides of where the bolt that holds the steering wheel in place goes into. I can't for the life of me find a replacement and I need one asap since this is my dd.

Please let me know if you have any ideas!!

Thanks!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I am a little confused? Did you damage the threads? or is the bolt head stripped and you can't get it off?

If its damaged threads, I would try to figure out what the thread specs are and find a tap to re-cut the threads.

kitsune1324

Established Member
I am a little confused? Did you damage the threads? or is the bolt head stripped and you can't get it off?

If its damaged threads, I would try to figure out what the thread specs are and find a tap to re-cut the threads.

I damaged the threads to the point where there aren't really any left..the bolt is fine, but it's where it goes into.

I'll try re-threading first and see if I can fix the problem that way. If that doesn't work I found an 04 cobra steering column for pretty cheap, do you think that would work in a 00 v6?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I damaged the threads to the point where there aren't really any left..the bolt is fine, but it's where it goes into.

I'll try re-threading first and see if I can fix the problem that way. If that doesn't work I found an 04 cobra steering column for pretty cheap, do you think that would work in a 00 v6?

I would like to say yes, but Ford did make lots of small changes between 1999 and 2004, and between various models. Maybe someone else can chime in. I don't know what could be different though.

kitsune1324

Established Member
I would like to say yes, but Ford did make lots of small changes between 1999 and 2004, and between various models. Maybe someone else can chime in. I don't know what could be different though.

So what I found out is that several threads are stripped but there's a lot of good threads deeper on. I had to buy a longer bolt in order to make use of them. Crisis averted.

Users who are viewing this thread