Need Help ASAP, need to drain gas..

bolinger06

Established Member
Ive looked and looked through the site and i cant figure out which relay i need to jump. I've seen guides for lightnings and such but i can't find out which one i need to jump for the 97 cobra. I've taken off the shcrader valve and have some fuel line running into a gas can, but i cant ,findthe fuse/relay(whatever it is) to jump so the pumps will keep running with the ignition on. Can anyone help please. Thanks, Brady

bolinger06

Established Member
Do I need to get to the relay behind the glove box or the resistor in the passenger side fenderwell. Any help please???

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i actually just talked to a buddy of mine (VIPERBLUELX) and he said its the relay behind the glove box.

I have to do the same thing as you. I am using the fuel line of my nitrous kit that is connected to the shrader valve on the fuel rail to direct the fuel into a jug.

just find the hot wire, then find the wire turns the pump on and jump it...

bolinger06

Established Member
are they the green and yellow wires...thats what i've heard, dont have a clue, i'm gonna go outside and see if i can get the glove box out, thanks

bolinger06

Established Member
i just went and looked and i dont have a clue what wires are what. I turned the key on to see where the clicking is coming from and it seems like it's farther up from the glovebox so i'm still at a loss.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
open the glove box. You should see some tabs that will allow the glovebox to fully open (swing down). The relay is actually behind the glovebox.

I haven't been home yet to look at it as i am still at work. But that is what i was told.

bolinger06

Established Member
i did that, but there isn't just one set of wires, so i'm not sure which ones i should be looking at. i have to head to work, so if you find anything out please let me know, thanks for the info, Brady

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
oh shoot, i just now noticed you have a 5.0 car. i dunno if yours will be the same as a 4.6 car...

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
okay, its pretty easy, just pop down the glove box.

When you look into the opening, the relay is up and to the right. Just push down on the connecter and pull down. it will take some force to dislodge it.

while looking at that plug in your hand - orient it so that the connecter clip is facing the driver side of the car. there will be four connections. You want to straight wire the top connection to the right connection. BE SURE THAT THE CONNECTER CLIP IS FACING THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE CAR SO YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT CORRECTLY.

that will turn the pump on running all the time. good luck!

NVENEM8U

Bust'n ass since 1996
Established Member
Doug said:
okay, its pretty easy, just pop down the glove box.

When you look into the opening, the relay is up and to the right. Just push down on the connecter and pull down. it will take some force to dislodge it.

while looking at that plug in your hand - orient it so that the connecter clip is facing the driver side of the car. there will be four connections. You want to straight wire the top connection to the right connection. BE SURE THAT THE CONNECTER CLIP IS FACING THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE CAR SO YOU ARE LOOKING AT IT CORRECTLY.

that will turn the pump on running all the time. good luck!
Post in How to section !

bolinger06

Established Member
haha, i used to have a 94 cobra, now i have a 97. I'll have to get that changed. I'll try to see if i can follow your steps. Is there any certain way to distinguish the plug? So i use the top left side and top right side? Maybe i'll understand what ur saying when i look at it in the morning. I'll try some different ways. Me and wires have just never understood each other. Thanks for the help, Brady

SNAKEYE

Established Member
This I can tell you: don't waste your time looking/fooling around with the fuel pump relay behind the glovebox. All it does is short circuit the resistor to apply full voltage to the fuel pump when the PCM and/or the CCRM tell it to do so.

This I can't tell you (yet): how to run the fuel pump continuously (although mine does!).

What I will do: search the wiring diagrams and find a way to do it.

Gotta leave for work now(there seems to be a lot of that gioing on with this thread!). I'll check things out from there thiis A.M.

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Now then, as I see it from the wiring diagrams there is no extremely simple way to do this, first because the CCRM and PCM are relatively inaccessible, and second because these devices include solid state components where there is a chance that doing something wrong may damage their electronics (not a nice thing!).
If I were doing it I would unplug the power source to the fuel pump at the inertia switch in the trunk by the left taillight assembly (you'll have to remove some of the trunk liner to access the inertia switch) and bring a #12 or #14 jumper wire from the positive terminal of the battery back to the trunk and touch it to the brown-with-pink stripe wire of the plug (be prepared to witness some sparking so make sure there are are no gas vapors floating around nearby). This will apply power direct to the fuel pump and not backfeed power to anything else.
Just be setup with your drain hose up front so that when you put the power to the pump the fuel has somewhere safe to go to. Be prepared for the fuel to come out of your drain hose ahellin'! If you are working alone duct tape it to your catch can, or have a helper hold the end in the can. Be prepared for splashing and, depending on how much gas is in your tank and how big your catch can is, to change or empty the catch can.

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the way i explained it is much simpler and will run the fuel pump continously.

bolinger: there are only two plugs that you can readily see. One is a small plug in the lower left - that is NOT it. The plug you want is the large black plug in the Upper Right part of the compartment.

When you look at the plug, the contacts will be positioned like this: |- three plugs in a straight line down. And one to the right. You want to straight wire the top contact to the contact to the right.

bolinger06

Established Member
I found it!! The engine has been taken out of the car so the wiring wasn't exactly where it was suppose to be. I was about ready to just cause i couldn't find the relay ANYWHERE. So i go down by the computer and just start feeling for wires hanging down there and I finally found it. THanks for allll the help, Brady

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Doug said:
the way i explained it is much simpler and will run the fuel pump continously.

bolinger: there are only two plugs that you can readily see. One is a small plug in the lower left - that is NOT it. The plug you want is the large black plug in the Upper Right part of the compartment.

When you look at the plug, the contacts will be positioned like this: |- three plugs in a straight line down. And one to the right. You want to straight wire the top contact to the contact to the right.

After looking at my fuel pump relay plug with the above description in mind, and after consulting the wiring diagram in the service manual (Section 25, page 3), that would be connecting the RED wire (coming from the PCM) to the LIGHT GREEN / YELLOW -stripped wire going to the fuel pump via the inertia fuel shutoff switch.

According to the wiring diagram there are just two volts (*2V) available at the RED wire as provided from the PCM's terminals 71 & 97: "*with the ignition switch in start or run".

That definitely won't run the fuel pump and may possibly harm the PCM.

bolinger06

Established Member
i'm not sure what your trying to say. For some reason you dont believe it will work and both Doug and I have used it and it works perfectly. It took about 15 min. if that to drain my entire tank. Car runs perfect with the new gas.

Users who are viewing this thread