Need Help ASAP Guys

Taunto

Established Member
Allright so I got the truck back together today.. still got small stuff to install like the rest of the nitrous kit and my wheels wells and stuff like that. Plus i got parts still coming in anyway..

Anyways today i went to start it up and the truck made this very loud and anoying whinning noise when its ideling.. its not normal...I know them pro-chargers like to whistle nice n loud at idle but this is way to much and really anoying.. I just installed a Stage 3 ported eaton from stiege.. Thats all I really did to the truck while it was apart besides clean the IC, paint the valve covers, and do a EGR and PCV Delete. its got new plugs and brand new freshly cleaned injectors. Anyways im wondering if anyone knows that the loud whinning noise is. I attached a video to my post. if the video doesnt work please let me know.. I need to get this noise gone its anoying at idle. It seems to go away when any kind of load or boost is applied.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22851534@N04/3416106176/?processed=1&cb=1238968284078
Anyone have an idea what this could be?

Last edited:

OH-MAN

Established Member
Sounds like air sneeking in somewhere.
When you open the throttle it seems to get less.
Check all the intake places around the throttle body.
Perhaps spray some wd40 around the gaskets and listen for some change to ty to find it.
All vac. lines on, with no cracks?

I don't think it is in the blower which is a good thing we hope.

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
Take the supercharge belt off and see if the noise goes away, if doesn't you have a vacuum leak. Get rid of that old-school shop light, it will melt carpet and plastic.

Taunto

Established Member
i guess I got to fix my passenger side valve cover leak first. its just pissin oil now.. right from the back outside corner.. ugh that valve cover was a pain in the butt to take apart.. oh well its gotta be done

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
That's not a vacuum leak it's a pressure leak. When SW and I installed his 3.4 the standoff was too long for the new midplate and held it slightly off the midplate and when we started it up the metal gasket made that exact sound, it was deafening. The metal gasket acted like a blade of grass between your thumbs when you blow on it. We had to take it all back apart and fix the issue so it would seal, no issues afterward.

Did you torque everything to specs? If you move your hand around the midplate and s/c flange while it's running you should be able to pinpoint where it's coming from.

Taunto

Established Member
I did torque everything to spec and in the torque sequence. im a 3rd yrear automotive apprentice. id hate for it to be the gaskets.. i just replaced both the midplate and supercharger gaskets. Ill take a look at it tomorrow. I have a feeling it can also be the boosy by pass valve.. i think it may not be opening at idle.... ill get some carb cleaner and start sprayin around to see what i find tomorrow

Taunto

Established Member
okay its not that Boost Acutuator haha.. I played around with that and its workin fine.. once u start the truck it flips open and closes under load. so its not that. I have a feeling its my plenum gasket. sounds like its comin from there. but that damn valve cover gasket is still leaking.. ugh its gonna be a pain in the butt to fix...

Users who are viewing this thread