Need help after accident.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The problem with "Vehicle Accident History" is that a future buyer will really not know the true extent of the previous damage. Most buyers assume the worse, even when it could have been minor, but as a buyer, that damage has been covered/repaired and the true extent is unknown.

R

M91196

Established Member
Random thought-Document the heck out of the damage and the repair, if I’m a buyer of your car in a few years and you have all the pictures of the damage, the parts receipts showing Ford parts and a detailed WO from a a-respectedbody shop I’m not as likely to walk away from a correctly priced vehicle.

samshady

Established Member
Random thought-Document the heck out of the damage and the repair, if I’m a buyer of your car in a few years and you have all the pictures of the damage, the parts receipts showing Ford parts and a detailed WO from a a-respectedbody shop I’m not as likely to walk away from a correctly priced vehicle.
That's a great idea. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Totally correct. Take as many pics as possible.
I was rear ended in my '04 Cobra at around 1000 miles and it was such small damage (scrape on textured flat black between tailpipes) even though they paid for a new bumper I choose to paint it body color.
Long story, if I didn't have pics and documentation, the buyer of the car wouldn't have even considered it as Carfax showed damage.
Good luck.
-J

samshady

Established Member
I figure it's time for an update. I didn't want the aftermarket parts that were quoted used on the car so I contacted my insurance company. They wanted to use recycled parts and no rental car because I don't have rental coverage. I decided to go with the original estimate and dropped the car off 08/06 at the dealership body shop. It's been a nightmare every step of the way. The impact bent the impact bar and dented the body. After 3 attempts to repair the damage to the bumper a new bumper cover has been ordered. 23 days and counting with me making trips to the shop every 2 or 3 days because they dont update customers. I'm really having thoughts of selling the car when I get back.

samshady

Established Member
Some pictures of the work and the estimator checking my exhaust after they said everything was fine with it.
20180809_073921.jpeg
20180821_093028.jpeg
20180821_093110.jpeg

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Your car is really a driver, not a in the wrapper collector, any hit on value will really depend what it looks like after it is repaired.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I figure it's time for an update. I didn't want the aftermarket parts that were quoted used on the car so I contacted my insurance company. They wanted to use recycled parts and no rental car because I don't have rental coverage. I decided to go with the original estimate and dropped the car off 08/06 at the dealership body shop. It's been a nightmare every step of the way. The impact bent the impact bar and dented the body. After 3 attempts to repair the damage to the bumper a new bumper cover has been ordered. 23 days and counting with me making trips to the shop every 2 or 3 days because they dont update customers. I'm really having thoughts of selling the car when I get back.

My car has been in the shop 35 days now. My insurance tried to pull the same used/scrap yard/lkq garbage. The adjuster wasn't sure how to take my rejection. I was told this is industry standard.

My dad owned a paint and body shop for more than 40 years. The last five of those years the shop was run completely by me. I actually had my insurance company void the check the first adjuster wrote.

As I marched up the chain of command I finally got to meet with a regional supervisor. He tried to tell me the same BS, but he couldn't define what industry standard meant. He could only say it didn't have to meet my standards. Wrong answer.

With my attorney and my wife standing by me the adjuster finally said they would write supplements as needed for the job to be done correctly.

There is a thread here "Another Mustang Down" that shows my progress.

I held my ground, and my shop backed me up. Used parts were rejected immediately. After a while OEM parts were approved and ordered. I refused to have garbage installed on a mint condition car.

The only repairs made were to a small dent in the driver's door, and a chip in the hood.

I had to fight the entire way, but the car was repaired correctly.

Good luck with your repair. Stand your ground and give solid reasoning in regard to aftermarket and used parts. Structural integrity, diminished value, lack of quality, etc are to be considered.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your accident. Let me guess, the person behind you was texting or otherwise distracted? There really is zero reason for getting hit from behind....if the person is following at a safe distance, short of a brake system failure.

Best of luck with getting it repaired to your satisfaction.

samshady

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your accident. Let me guess, the person behind you was texting or otherwise distracted? There really is zero reason for getting hit from behind....if the person is following at a safe distance, short of a brake system failure.

Best of luck with getting it repaired to your satisfaction.
Actually no I think he was just an idiot.He first claimed I sped around him, cut him off, and slammed on brakes. After I explained that I'd be having no parts of that lie, he changed his story. At the time of impact I wasn't aware of another car behind him that was involved. When the cops showed up he stated I was in my lane stopped, he was stopped behind me, and the girl behind him hit him and pushed him into me. This was a 4wd F150 being pushed by a Mazda 6. I just don't see that car pushing the truck into me with the impact I felt.The girl at the end made no effort to dispute and was the only one to get ticketed.
20180619_170940.jpeg

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Actually no I think he was just an idiot.He first claimed I sped around him, cut him off, and slammed on brakes. After I explained that I'd be having no parts of that lie, he changed his story. At the time of impact I wasn't aware of another car behind him that was involved. When the cops showed up he stated I was in my lane stopped, he was stopped behind me, and the girl behind him hit him and pushed him into me. This was a 4wd F150 being pushed by a Mazda 6. I just don't see that car pushing the truck into me with the impact I felt.The girl at the end made no effort to dispute and was the only one to get ticketed.View attachment 1512541

Unfortunately I had a similar accident about 20 years ago. I stopped at a red light. The guy behind me hit me at what felt like full speed. Then another impact was felt. Nothing I said changed the outcome; the last driver to impact was charged.

Sent from a non multiquoting device at svtperformance.com mobile app

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Actually no I think he was just an idiot.He first claimed I sped around him, cut him off, and slammed on brakes. After I explained that I'd be having no parts of that lie, he changed his story. At the time of impact I wasn't aware of another car behind him that was involved. When the cops showed up he stated I was in my lane stopped, he was stopped behind me, and the girl behind him hit him and pushed him into me. This was a 4wd F150 being pushed by a Mazda 6. I just don't see that car pushing the truck into me with the impact I felt.The girl at the end made no effort to dispute and was the only one to get ticketed.View attachment 1512541

Wow, have to wonder why buddy in the F150 would make up a story like that given he was actually rear-ended as well? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Anyways, that Mazda definitely took the worst of it.

Like others have said, make sure you fight for/get quality parts/repair. Let us know how you make out.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Something I noticed on my body shop repair bill after I backed into a mailbox and scratched the crap out of the rear driver side quarter and bumper ( I have know idea WTF I was thinking off).

The approved estimate (approved by State Farm) clearly shows the Ford part numbers and if the the part is “new oem” as opposed to “ other oem”. The “ other oem” will have a disclosure for “ blemishes” in the fine print....which is the giveway.

My explorer is a 2018 and was all new oem on parts. Of course it is a new vehicle. I had a dealer do the repair which looked factory again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

samshady

Established Member
Alright everyone time for another update. The bodyshop finally was able to get the car back together with decent fitment in the lines. The paint match is pretty close. The stripes look good at first glance but let's leave that one alone. I've started the diminished value claim against the insurance company. Their initial offer is $0 and have assured me that my car will probably sell faster than one that hasn't been previously wrecked. My car will have fresher paint that shines more and no rock chips or scratches in the finish where the repairs were done. I've had a dealer check and the accident is already showing on the carfax as an accident. At this point I've spoke to an apprasial company who feels there is a strong Diminished Value case. I haven't been able to contact any lawyers yet. The only advice I have for others is take plenty of pictures of your vehicle a couple times of year. If you are involved in an accident and plan to claim diminished value contact some one BEFORE repairs are made. That is something I've been told by several people I've contacted involved in appraisals and "unique" car sales. I'll get some pictures up of the car after I get it cleaned up.

samshady

Established Member
I'm back. The diminished value report has been completed and sent to the insurance company. There were some arguments about a prior glass claim made by previous owner. That has been settled so now hopefully to the important part. Hopefully a new update in a week or so maybe a resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread