Need Help... Academic Honesty

sub92loyill

short was never this wide
Established Member
Long story short I'm graduating from Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston in August. The department I studied in (Civil, Construction and Environtment) has a huge issue with cheating students as well as some other major problems. Therefore, we created a committee to help solve these problems.

I wrote this document to promote academic honesty, not from an enforcement viewpoint, but from a moral viewpoint. I'm not sure if this will be accepted correctly by the incoming students, therefore I need your help. Some constructive criticism is would be greatly appreciated...

"Dear Incoming Student,
Welcome to the Civil, Construction, and Environmental Department at Wentworth Institute of Technology. The intent of this letter is to promote the two most important ideals which former CCEV students found necessary for successful completion of their undergraduate studies: honesty and pride.

Construction is an industry which enables the members of our society to perform their most basic functions. Without construction there would be no places to work, live, or relax. By choosing this field of study you are accepting responsibilities that most other professionals do not have – the quality of work you produce directly affects the safety and well being of the end users.

Consider why you have chosen your field of study. Unlike other degree programs, you have chosen a degree in which your level of effort determines your ability to produce something of a physical nature – be it a building, road, bridge, or even something yet to be engineered. You have implicitly chosen to study in this field because it makes you proud to see the result of your effort in a physical form.

Finally, consider the implications of academic dishonesty. For the students who thrive on other’s work: Does a building carry any value if it has no foundation? Why then, would your education be of any value if it is based on a false understanding of the subject matter? For the students who succeed by their own effort but let others steal their work: Would you live in a home built by someone who is incompetent? Why then, would you enable incompetence to succeed?

When you joined the Wentworth community you agreed to upholding academic honesty – it is required of all students. Pride, however, is not. It is inevitable that during your course of studies you will have the opportunity to cheat. Other students will also attempt to reap the benefits of your efforts. Those who aren’t proud of their work feel no shame when stealing others' and no contempt when their own is stolen. When you are faced with the decision to act honestly or not, it is in your level of pride that you will find the answer.

Sign below as a reminder of your commitment to academic honesty.

I, ________________________, hereby commit myself to acting honestly and proudly while pursuing my degree at Wentworth Institute of Technology, and will not cheat myself of my education, nor allow others to do the same at my expense.
Signed,

X____________________________________________________________________________________

Keep this document for your own records and refer to it as frequently as necessary."

Last edited:

03vert70charger

Established Member
Can you elaborate on your definition of cheating? Would you consider looking at previous tests cheating? I have friends that have taken classes before me and given me their course work. While the course work has changed and I am not directly copying, only using their work as a guide as to what is expected in homework and tests. Would you consider that cheating?

sub92loyill

Established Member
Can you elaborate on your definition of cheating? Would you consider looking at previous tests cheating? I have friends that have taken classes before me and given me their course work. While the course work has changed and I am not directly copying, only using their work as a guide as to what is expected in homework and tests. Would you consider that cheating?

No, but you bring up a good point, I should give a better definition of cheating in the document.

Your example I would consider cheating if you looked at the test knowing that it is the same test issued every year.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if the teacher wants to give the same test every year that is their fault, if someone learns the answers then so be it. My law school keeps old exams on file in the library and they are given to the library by the professors, some questions always reappear and or will be similar examples. If the professor doesn’t want others to see the exam they should collect after each and every exam that is administered.

sub92loyill

Established Member
if the teacher wants to give the same test every year that is their fault, if someone learns the answers then so be it. My law school keeps old exams on file in the library and they are given to the library by the professors, some questions always reappear and or will be similar examples. If the professor doesn’t want others to see the exam they should collect after each and every exam that is administered.

That's a different scenario. The tests are stolen from teachers and distributed. They are kept by the teachers so that they remain confidential.

Any suggestions on the paper?

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
Your university should have its' own academic integrity policy in which they will define cheating; at least that's how it was at the 3 academic institutions I've attended. I'm not sure you'll be able to explicitly define cheating in another manner in a department document that differs from your Univeristy's official policy. It's something to at least inquire about.

Good luck

sub92loyill

Established Member
Your university should have its' own academic integrity policy in which they will define cheating; at least that's how it was at the 3 academic institutions I've attended. I'm not sure you'll be able to explicitly define cheating in another manner in a department document that differs from your Univeristy's official policy. It's something to at least inquire about.

Good luck

They have their own policy that is signed during admissions but the use of computers and technology has helped put this beyond the control of the original policy. I'd like to connect with the new students on a moral basis if possible, but I need some revising.

STG

Banned
Your letter only serves to make incoming students doubt their choice of school.
Try this version:

Welcome and thank you for choosing Wentworth Institute of Technology! We've had serious problems with cheaters and,listen up punk, we know what you're thinking - just cheat and slide on to your degree.

We really, really hope you won't cheat, 'cause it makes us look really bad and we're trying to recruit more students. Our reputation is already so bad we formed a committee to fix the problem. Guess what. I got stuck writing this stupid letter because the Dean and President are a couple of politically correct candy asses.

Neither has the balls to lay down the law and expel any and all cheaters. You see, they don't want to admit there's a problem. They figure that incoming students will respond to a graduating senior because,you know, it's like student-to-student. After all, I have a page on Face Book and can Twitter and can get down to your asinine level.

The sad truth is I've spent a lot of money and time at Wentworth Institute of Technology and I'll be damned if any of you punk-ass freshmen are going to devalue my mother****ing degree. If I catch any of you cheating, you're dead. Your family is dead. Your friends are dead. Got it?

No warning, no second chances. You won't see it coming because I am half Ninja and half Grim Reaper.

Sincerely,

Chairman
Committee to Preserve the Value of My Wentworth Institute of Technology Degree
(Yes, I know it may be too late.)

Last edited:

sub92loyill

Established Member
Try this version:

Welcome and thank you for choosing Wentworth Institute of Technology! We've had serious problems with cheaters and,listen up punk, we know what you're thinking - just cheat and slide on to your degree.

We really, really hope you won't cheat, 'cause it makes us look really bad and we're trying to recruit more students. Our reputation is already so bad we formed a committee to fix the problem. Guess what. I got stuck writing this stupid letter because the Dean and President are a couple of politically correct candy asses.

Neither has the balls to lay down the law and expel any and all cheaters. You see, they don't want to admit there's a problem. They figure that incoming students will respond to a graduating senior because,you know, it's like student-to-student. After all, I have a page on Face Book and can Twitter and can get down to your asinine level.

The sad truth is I've spent a lot of money and time at Wentworth Institute of Technology and I'll be damned if any of you punk-ass freshmen are going to devalue my mother****ing degree. If I catch any of you cheating, you're dead. Your family is dead. Your friends are dead. Got it?

No warning, no second chances. You won't see it coming because I am half Ninja and half Grim Reaper.

Sincerely,

Chairman

You missed the ball. I asked for constructive criticism as I take the issue seriously. I understand your point, but the its past just a "kick them all out" option. We have a new Department Head who is committed to solving the problem but we need to build a culture of honesty.

I would argue that this has become a large problem at most schools of WIT's size. I'm happy to be graduating knowing that someone is actually doing something to change the way student's consider themselves as well as how they value their work.

Every sweeping judgement of my generation is generally true. Students lack faith in themselves AND desire to do well. I simply care too much about the industry to let it continue without at least attempting to change it.

txyaloo

Established Member
They have their own policy that is signed during admissions but the use of computers and technology has helped put this beyond the control of the original policy. I'd like to connect with the new students on a moral basis if possible, but I need some revising.

Who is the "we" you reference regarding the committee? Is this endorsed by the school?

This is really something that needs to be handled by your school's administration. If they already have an academic dishonesty policy that isn't being enforced, it needs to be addressed with the dean of students, provost, president, etc. If the policy is out of date, then it needs to be updated instead of a new document being drafted by some side organization.

This is also something that the student government organizations (if they exist) need to be involved in.

Coiled03

Established Member
Who is the "we" you reference regarding the committee? Is this endorsed by the school?

This is really something that needs to be handled by your school's administration. If they already have an academic dishonesty policy that isn't being enforced, it needs to be addressed with the dean of students, provost, president, etc. If the policy is out of date, then it needs to be updated instead of a new document being drafted by some side organization.

This is also something that the student government organizations (if they exist) need to be involved in.

^^ What he said. ^^

Committees formed by the student body will never carry as much weight as the administration. As such, any document you create will only be looked at as a recommendation, instead of a school policy.

You've got a good idea. You're just going about it the wrong way, in my opinion.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You have hit the points well on why academic honesty matters.

The only thing I would like to see added would be a better definition of cheating as it applies in your area of study. That got touched on only briefly, as I saw it.

What's been going on, people plaigarizing other's work? Same design getting turned in by diffeent people year after year?

Jim Snover

Last edited:

brucesvt

Established Member
Try this version:

Sincerely,

Chairman

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sub92loyill

Established Member
You have hit the points well on why academic honesty matters.

The only thing I would like to see added would be a better definition of cheating as it applies in your area of study. That got touched on only briefly, as I saw it.

What's been going on, people plaigarizing other's work? Same design getting turned in by diffeent people year after year?

Jim Snover

Thanks Jim. People use other's projects, estimates, and papers so they don't have to produce their own documents. Or, they'll take tests, some which are online, and email eachother answers etc. Blatant copying of work pretty much sums it up.

To address the other's points...

This commitee is formed by recommendation of the department head. We operate under his supervision - nothing we produce will be allowed to be distributed without his consent and approval.

The commitee operates to voice the student's concerns to the faculty regarding subjects that take away from our program (be it from the faculty or student side). This document should not be looked upon as an enforcement policy as that is not its intent at all. It SHOULD be looked on as a recommendation, as that is it's intent. The purpose is to help student's understand why academic honesty is important - but from the viewpoint of a student - not someone just scolding or punishing them for doing so.

As I've said before, the problem is too large to be controlled by simply more strictly enforcing the academic policy (its being enforced at its full capacity).

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks Jim. People use other's projects, estimates, and papers so they don't have to produce their own documents. Or, they'll take tests, some which are online, and email eachother answers etc. Blatant copying of work pretty much sums it up.

To address the other's points...

This commitee is formed by recommendation of the department head. We operate under his supervision - nothing we produce will be allowed to be distributed without his consent and approval.

The commitee operates to voice the student's concerns to the faculty regarding subjects that take away from our program (be it from the faculty or student side). This document should not be looked upon as an enforcement policy as that is not its intent at all. It SHOULD be looked on as a recommendation, as that is it's intent. The purpose is to help student's understand why academic honesty is important - but from the viewpoint of a student - not someone just scolding or punishing them for doing so.

As I've said before, the problem is too large to be controlled by simply more strictly enforcing the academic policy (its being enforced at its full capacity).

So it's basically a worthless document with no teeth to it? It has been written to appear as an enforcement document. What's the point of having a document students sign that means nothing? They will quickly figure this out and all your work will be for naught.

I know this probably isn't the kind of feedback you expected or want, but if the problem is too large to be controlled by the current academic policy, your department head needs to approach his or her superiors and voice their concern over the inadequacy of the current policy. I've worked for several large universities and understand the problems with academic dishonesty and how it is handled.

I looked over your policy and it seems pretty clear cut. How is it not meeting the needs of the department? It appears that most of the power is put squarely in the department's hands with the faculty having a great amount of leeway in handling situations that arise. Is the faculty not applying the policy correctly>

sub92loyill

Established Member
So it's basically a worthless document with no teeth to it? It has been written to appear as an enforcement document. What's the point of having a document students sign that means nothing? They will quickly figure this out and all your work will be for naught.

I know this probably isn't the kind of feedback you expected or want, but if the problem is too large to be controlled by the current academic policy, your department head needs to approach his or her superiors and voice their concern over the inadequacy of the current policy. I've worked for several large universities and understand the problems with academic dishonesty and how it is handled.

I looked over your policy and it seems pretty clear cut. How is it not meeting the needs of the department? It appears that most of the power is put squarely in the department's hands with the faculty having a great amount of leeway in handling situations that arise. Is the faculty not applying the policy correctly>

How has it been written as an enforcement document? It's for the student's own records, and nobody else's. Yea, the document has no teeth, as it carries no consequences and offers no punishments, except those of which are extremely important - the fact that student's ability to produce affects our well being as people who inhabit an "engineered world". I'm reminding students as they first come to school why they are here and how to act when faced with the decision to cheat or not.

txyaloo

Established Member
How has it been written as an enforcement document? It's for the student's own records, and nobody else's. Yea, the document has no teeth, as it carries no consequences and offers no punishments, except those of which are extremely important - the fact that student's ability to produce affects our well being as people who inhabit an "engineered world". I'm reminding students as they first come to school why they are here and how to act when faced with the decision to cheat or not.

By making them sign/date the document, it appears as if they are entering into a contract where there may be some type of consequences. While those consequences aren't spelled out in the document, I think it would go over better if they weren't made to sign.

One way or another, good luck with it.

sub92loyill

Established Member
By making them sign/date the document, it appears as if they are entering into a contract where there may be some type of consequences. While those consequences aren't spelled out in the document, I think it would go over better if they weren't made to sign.

One way or another, good luck with it.

Good call, it does give that impression. My intent was so that they would be committing themselves to an ideal for their own records, but unless I someone clearly explains nobody will be keeping it except themselves I should delete it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the help.

STG

Banned

The faculty is too chickenshit PC to do what's right. They are afraid to throw cheaters out on their asses because of the negative publicity, loss of tuition, loss of incoming freshman, loss of charitable contributions, and most importantly......They are too afraid to face the parents of these cheaters when they show up at the school bellowing nonsense about their son being a little angel and we're gonna sue!

Nah, just dump the problem in the students laps!

Users who are viewing this thread