need help ABS and TRACTION CONTROL light

oxw01svt

Established Member
About a month ago i installed a new set of 305/35/18 M/T et street radials on my car. When i turn the car on everything is fine, but if i drive more than 10 miles the ABS light and the TRACTION CONTROL OFF light turns on. Could this be caused by the new tires? Anyone else ever have this problem. I found a thread that has the same problem when i searched but no one replied to the op's post in that thread. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Nick

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Do your front & rear tires have significantly different perimeters (or heights)? I'll guess your front tires are smaller diameter so they spin faster than your rear tires. The computer can pick up on the difference and think something is spinning or dragging. Just my guess.

Charles236

Established Member
The post above is right, I have seen ABS lights come on with only a small difference in tire diameter. The way I check is to make sure the tires are properly inflated, put a chalk mark as close to the pavement as possible on one front tire and one rear tire, and on the pavement next to the tire. I then roll the car forward to bring the chalk marks back around, mark the pavement again, and measure the distance between the marks to find out if the tires are covering different distances on one revolution of front and rear tires. Even a small difference will add up over several miles. I have seen a car set an ABS code because the tires were different diameters, even though they were nominally the same size, from different manufacturers.

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
one of you ABS sensors is bad. I had the same thing happen. ABS light on and it will disable traction control until its fixed. good news is that the sensor is cheep.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
There is rarely a problem with larger tires in the rear versus the front. It is normally the other way around, ie shorter tires in the rear, that causes the issue.

What size are your fronts?

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
My ABS light has been on for almost 3 years....I just never have gotten around to look at what it might be.

cobraracer46

Banned
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Nick

Buy a scan tool that can retrieve ABS codes and read wheel speeds, plus, get a ford manual and with all of that, you should be able to fix the ABS problem.

Asking people what might be wrong with the ABS system without pulling any codes is silly and will accomplish nothing.:bash:

:lol1: at the people who pulled out the ABS bulb and now drive around with a critical safety feature that does not work.:nonono:

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
mine comes on when i run my track tires. cause they are taller. when i put my street tires back one, it goes away.

probably the tires man, altough a 35/18 should be pretty damn close to a 45/17

oxw01svt

Established Member
thanks for the replys guys, its gotta be the tires. In the front i have 265/35/18 nitto nt555 and the M/T's on the back. The M/T's are taller than the tire i had on the car previously which was a 285/35/18 nitto nt555.

slick4_6

Established Member
About a month ago i installed a new set of 305/35/18 M/T et street radials on my car. When i turn the car on everything is fine, but if i drive more than 10 miles the ABS light and the TRACTION CONTROL OFF light turns on. Could this be caused by the new tires? Anyone else ever have this problem. I found a thread that has the same problem when i searched but no one replied to the op's post in that thread. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Nick

Are they an extra set of track wheels and tires that you are running? If so you could try switching back to your street wheels and tires and see if it goes away. More than likely, like everyone says it is because of the size difference. I drove mine today the most miles it has been driven in over a year and my ABS light popped on. I am hoping it is just a sensor. My car has 70k miles on it and it is going to be the first sensor I have had to replace in the 7 years I have owned it. I always drive around with my TCS turned off so I don't know if the ABS light popping on caused the TCS off light to pop on or not.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread