Need Help: 4 Wheeler starts but shuts right back off

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i have a 2007 Hensim 4 wheeler 150cc. it just started shutting off one day while riding, would move about a foot then start sputtering. i think its the carb. i cleaned it with carb cleaner and shot car cleaner through the holes with the a straw nozzle. I got it to stay on for like 30 seconds when holding the gas throttle down a couple times. then it shuts off and wont start back up for days. do u think i should just buy a new carb for $30? or could it be something else? has brand new gas and fuel filter. should i hook my air compressor up and try shooting air through the holes inside the carb? could it be anything else?

the carb says Jinkaboo on it. heres a pic of one off google, same exact carb:
GY6_150_2.jpg

GY6-150_1.jpg

GY6_150_3.jpg

GY6_150_4.jpg

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
can it run by spraying starter fluid into the intake? if so, you got some type of fuel issue. either blocked line, filter, or carb. if its a carb. might be easier/faster to just spend the $30 and buy a new carb. granted it may just be a $5.00 part like a bowl or needle but its not worth taking the whole carb apart and hoping you put it back together right unless you know what ur doing with carbs. personally, I wont touch a carb ever. thats like redoing a transmission. you just dont know until its all the way back together and u gotta pray its done

Last edited:

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Like said above, take the filter/boot off of the back of the carb and spray some starting fluid into it. If it cranks up, your issue is fuel.

IMO, carbs that small CANNOT be cleaned properly. Just spraying some carb cleaner in it definately won't cut it.

If you still want to do it, this is what I would recommend.

Completely disassemble the carb. Take off the bowl, the idle jet, the main jet, everything that is removeable. Soak everything in a small container of gas/cleaning solution.

You need a sewing needle to to push through ALL of the small openings. Fuel passages, main jet, idle jet, every hole.

Then, you blow compressed air through it (not too much though, you can can bend the float).

Put it back together and HOPE that its good to go.

I went through this process with an ATC70 about 3 times before buying a new carb. Bolted the new carb on there and the bastard started right up.

Good luck

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Kazuma 250 did the same thing, cleaned carb (completely apart) finally spent $30 on new carb, Same thing continues. Started adjusting timing and it is getting better but I haven't had time lately to mess with it.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i cleaned my carb with carb cleaner with the tiny red straw on the end like 10 times each hole.. didnt really seem to help. if u sit there and keep trying to start it, it'll start eventually but shut right off. the airbox doesnt have to be on as long as i'm just test starting it right? figured it'd start easier without the air box.

i was looking at the wrong carb, my replacemnt one is 42.99 plus 7 shipping on ebay. it was the only place i could find it. the ones on those avt sites say they're for mine but they look different. the ebay one has a 14 day money back if it doesnt work.

i did a wheelie one day and when i landed it just started doing that. i thought it ran out of gas so i stopped and parked it where it was. then i bought more gas and realized it was still full of gas. so thats when i started looking at the carb. hopefully i didnt mess something up when i did the wheelie.

laoutlaw01

North Louisiana redneck
Established Member
Spend the money and get a new carb. Then get someone to kick you in the ass for buying a off brand cheaply made 4 wheeler. They are nothing but trouble. After it runs sell it for what you can and use the money to get a real wheeler.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Probalby better off buying a new carb.

But if you can already afford the carb, then tear the old one apart anyways. If you fix it then great, if not, just buy the new carb.

You said it happened after a harsh wheelie landing, so it could of messed up the carb, or maybe even jumped timing. Not sure of the timing setup on it, but that isnt too far-fetched. I had a 79 F250 that I couldnt get the timing right on, and it would start up and run for a minute or so and die just like you are explaining.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
POWER TRAIN
Engine 149.6cc air cooled, 4 stroke, single cylinder engine
Bore/Stroke 57.4mm/57.8mm (2.25in/2.27in)
Compression Ratio 9.0:1
Horsepower 9.8HP@7500rpm
Torque 9.0nm@5500rpm (6.63Lb-ft)
Fuel System Carbureted
Lubrication Wet Sump
Ignition CDI
Transmission Chain Drive + (Reverse)
Gear Ratio Automatic
Final Drive N/A
DIMENSIONS
Overall Length 1818mm (71.6in)
Overall Width 1079mm (42.5in)