Need Help: 2002 Impala

bgoose99

Established Member
Ok guys, tired of banging my head on the wall, so I'm asking for help.

My daughter has a 2002 Chevy Impala with 130k miles. Two weeks ago when she was driving home from college, it started hesitating really bad on the highway. She limped it on home, and I enlisted the help of my brother so we could troubleshoot and fix it.

After a test drive, I was convinced it was fuel related. Idles perfect. No codes. Drives around the neighborhood perfect. But as soon as you step on the gas to get above 25 mph, it falls on its face. Lurches, hesitates, doesn't shift right, chugs like a train, etc.

Go to parts store and pick up fuel filter, fuel pump, and fuel pressure test rig. Replace the fuel filter because why not. Then test fuel pressure. It's within spec. So it's not the pump. Test drive. No good. More research, decide to check MAF. Pull the MAF sensor, test drive with it unplugged, and it runs just fine. Gets up to speed, shifts normally, no issues.

Return fuel pressure test rig and fuel pump, pick up a reman MAF (only one they had). Put it in, runs crappy again. Spend more money for OEM MAF, same thing.

In my research, the things that came up were MAF, clogged catalytic converter, crank position sensor, and throttle position sensor. Ruled out the TPS because we watched it real time with the OBD2 on the test drive. CPS, maybe. But why would it run well without the MAF? Catalytic converter should make it run bad all the time. And again, no codes.

She has to head back to college tomorrow, and I'd like to have the car fixed, rather than let her keep driving it with the MAF unplugged.

TL;DR: 2002 Chevy Impala. Runs like crap with a brand new OEM MAF. Runs great with it unplugged.

nxhappy

Established Member
does it smell like eggs? I am thinking bad cat.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I hate to say it, as much as I hate going to the dealership. Take it to a dealer and have them hook up their diagnostics equipment and let them tell you what is wrong with it. It sucks doing that, but can save money in the long run.

Did you check for any vacuum leaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
First thing I was thinking was the cats as well. At 120k it's definitely a possibility.

286rocks

Established Member
Good possibility, I had an 03 with 70k that had a clogged cat. OP, disconnect the EGR tube from the intake manifold and take for a drive, you should be able to tell fairly quickly.

If it's the 3.4 the intake manifold gasket is probably leaking and clogging things down the line...

Users who are viewing this thread