Need Front Wheel Bearing Help

MrSwa

Established Member
When I went to have my car aligned about 2 weeks ago, I found out I have a front wheel bearing going bad. Other issues I discovered have kept me busy until this point, but now I'm on to the wheel bearing. I ordered a replacement spindle lock nut from a local ford dealer (it's a one time use nut). Now I need to buy/order a wheel hub/bearing assembly. Are the units from the auto parts stores any good? The reason is that ford wants $150 for their assembly, but they're only ~$70 from any autoparts store. Anyone with experience with this issue?

metaman

Established Member
The factory bearing is a timken (spelling might be off). Autozone sells a replacement with the timken bearing in it for a pretty good price. I think it was like 68 bucks a year ago. I have had no issues with them. I did not even need to replace them yet when I did them. However, I had just done the rear hub bearings and went ahead with both of the fronts when I was already doing the brakes anyway. I forgot to buy the new "one time use" nuts and just retorqued the originals back down to 250 ft./lbs. I asked my buddy that was a heavy line mechanic at a Lincoln dealer for a few years about the nut, and he said they reuse them all of the time. They have never come loose on me.

TVSCobra

Established Member
I always use a new collar nut, but you shouldn't have problems reusing it if you didn't get one. :)

GoatSlayer

Banned
When I went to have my car aligned about 2 weeks ago, I found out I have a front wheel bearing going bad. Other issues I discovered have kept me busy until this point, but now I'm on to the wheel bearing. I ordered a replacement spindle lock nut from a local ford dealer (it's a one time use nut). Now I need to buy/order a wheel hub/bearing assembly. Are the units from the auto parts stores any good? The reason is that ford wants $150 for their assembly, but they're only ~$70 from any autoparts store. Anyone with experience with this issue?
Yeah buy one from autozone for the fronts (btw it comes as a complete hub bearing assembly, that means you get new bearing and wheel studs)

The factory bearing is a timken (spelling might be off). Autozone sells a replacement with the timken bearing in it for a pretty good price. I think it was like 68 bucks a year ago. I have had no issues with them. I did not even need to replace them yet when I did them. However, I had just done the rear hub bearings and went ahead with both of the fronts when I was already doing the brakes anyway. I forgot to buy the new "one time use" nuts and just retorqued the originals back down to 250 ft./lbs. I asked my buddy that was a heavy line mechanic at a Lincoln dealer for a few years about the nut, and he said they reuse them all of the time. They have never come loose on me.

Dude, you wanna change that nut and put a new one. I did that mistake and didnt put a new. That nut came off while driving and i ended up ****ing up my rear wheel bearings, hub and broke the half-shaft where the threads end. Ford sells them in pairs for like $10.99

MrSwa

Established Member
Yeah buy one from autozone for the fronts (btw it comes as a complete hub bearing assembly, that means you get new bearing and wheel studs)

Dude, you wanna change that nut and put a new one. I did that mistake and didnt put a new. That nut came off while driving and i ended up ****ing up my rear wheel bearings, hub and broke the half-shaft where the threads end. Ford sells them in pairs for like $10.99

I already ordered a new nut and dust cap yesterday. They are def not $10.99/pair. The nut was like $17 and the dust cap was like $6. I just wanted the security of putting on a new one. Ordered a dust cap cause my luck will be to break the one that's on there. My biggest fear is the massive amount of torque that's supposed to be on this nut. I don't have a torque wrench, so my plan is to put the impact on it's strongest setting and hope.

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I already ordered a new nut and dust cap yesterday. They are def not $10.99/pair. The nut was like $17 and the dust cap was like $6. I just wanted the security of putting on a new one. Ordered a dust cap cause my luck will be to break the one that's on there. My biggest fear is the massive amount of torque that's supposed to be on this nut. I don't have a torque wrench, so my plan is to put the impact on it's strongest setting and hope.

On a 20k+ car.. best bet would be not hope. Go get a torque (because you will use it again) and KNOW!!!

Or borrow one from a buddy.... To hope is not a plan....

Alex

MrSwa

Established Member
On a 20k+ car.. best bet would be not hope. Go get a torque (because you will use it again) and KNOW!!!

Or borrow one from a buddy.... To hope is not a plan....

Alex

I guess hope was the wrong word. I used 24V cordless impact with unknown max (but I have yet to see a 24V do less than 250) and a 5ft cheater bar. Even if you say I was gripping it at 4ft, I put a ton of torque on the thing. I tightened the nut another 1/4-1/2 turn with the bar and this was not an easy feat.

I would love to buy a torque wrench, but I don't have the spare cash laying around to go buy a $130+ dollar tool. I am confident that I put enough torque on it to reach the 250ft-lbs required.

Users who are viewing this thread