Need details on 3rd Brake Light 99-01 Cobra

ATCzMustang

Established Member
I'm looking for some definitive information on the correct 3rd brake like details for a 2001 Cobra. I know well the 03-04 Terminator has a much different deck lid and 3rd brake light and are not compatible. However, is the 3rd brake light on a 01' Cobra identical to that on a V6 and GT of the same years?

As typical, mine has faded and probably going with an aftermarket replacement. Some brake lights state 'Does not fit Cobra' and some state 'Does not fit 03-04' Cobra'.

It would be nice if I had the Ford part number on the 3rd brake light and then I could cross check. However, I want to know generically if the V6, GT, and Cobra all have the same 3rd brake light?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
All the same. The "Does not fit Cobra" only applies to 03-04 for obvious reasons. You could sand, paint the top black, and clear the whole thing to refurb your current light, if you feel froggy. Probably easier to just buy a new one though.

01yellercobra

Established Member
More then likely they think the 99-04 Cobras are all the same. Just need to know what parts work on your car.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Be thankful it is the same as the GT and V6 models. Just dropped over $200 on an 03-04 3rd light. Just awesome :fm: If you can't find a decent one at a good price I've got my 01 cobra trunk lid in the garage and I'll just send you the light if you pay shipping.

shurur

Established Member
Usually the brake light wears on the top horizontal surface of the light.
That top part of the light can be sanded/painted black (whatever) to protect it in the future....
You can also clearcoat the lense...

I'd keep the old one for experimenting with..

Last edited:

ATCzMustang

Established Member
@snakeraper11b - Thanks for the offer I might be interested. :) Mine is fading and hazing like crap from the FL sun so I was going to get a new one in tip top shape. How would you rate yours scale 1-10? If it is 8 or higher, let me know the price on shipping. If it's a bit old I might just get one of those LED ones off of eBay. Did that for my V6 back in the day and they were not too bad. I'd rather have the Ford one though because the Laser Red color of my car and lens match nicely.

ATCzMustang

Established Member
@shurur - I might have to mess around with the sanding/painting for experimenting. Don't want something that looks crappy though. What sand would you use, because that will scratch the heck out of the lens and make hazy I would think? Even 2000 or 2500 wet sand would probably haze that plastic, right?

shurur

Established Member
@shurur - I might have to mess around with the sanding/painting for experimenting. Don't want something that looks crappy though. What sand would you use, because that will scratch the heck out of the lens and make hazy I would think? Even 2000 or 2500 wet sand would probably haze that plastic, right?

yes...pretty much same approach as doing the headlights...clearcoat all..then tape off the back and paint the top black...uv enamel as I recall.

2000/2500 is pretty fine should be ok...I wondered about using a glazing compound instead...
or wrapping sandpaper over a sponge to keep pressure light and uniform as you sand..

I guess a new light is cheap enough..I just like to mess with stuff..can't help myself..

Users who are viewing this thread