Need convertable top help

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
It seems my tops motor(s) have stopped working. The top goes down okay, but when it's more then 50% lowered it king of drops down. Rasiing it seems to be where it's really not workiing well. It will not raise up more then about 25% and then stops. I need to pull it up the rest of the way and then continue to let the motor runs to latch it. Ant one know how to start with the repairs???
:cryying::cryying::cryying:

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
I just googled this and seemed to help a couple of people...

The top motor uses Mercon ATF trans fluid, and is located right behind the back seat beneath the top well liner.

To get to the motor, unsnap the liner from all the mounting points that follow along the bottom of the window and pull it out of your way. The motor is mounted to a bracket with rubber plugs, so just grab and pull up one corner at a time. On one side of the motor (facing drivers side on mine) there is a rubber fill plug that will pull out with some pliers. You want to have the side that has the fill plug tilted up, facing you so no fluid leaks out. Next, you'll need a funnel with a small opening, like 1/4" or so, to fit into the fill hole. Fill it up with the Mercon ATF fluid to pretty much the top of the hole. Be careful doing this, it's a shitty place to have to clean this stuff up if any spills. Once you get it all back together, run the top up and down a few times, this will bleed any air out of the lines. After about the second trip up it should be operating like normal.

While you're in there doing this be sure to look around and inspect the lines and fittings and top cylinders (located beneath the rear side windows, they look like real fun to get to), you might find your problem. Should it be one of the cylinders thats blown (look for excessive oil on the shaft) then it will likely need to be replaced. Mine just has some real light seepage on one or two of the hose fittings, so I just said screw it and refill the motor every year and a half when it starts acting up.

Hurrycanestang

Established Member
I kind of have the same problem, When I push the button to close the top it won't move at all even though I hear the motor working. I have to manual reach back, raise it by hand and when the top get to the most topward angle the motor will push it close the rest of the way. I also have to unlatch and push the top to open it by hand as well. I got confused to the point where I couldn't decide if my motor was bad of one of the two lift cylinders were leaking, but after refilling the motor with ATF I notice it isn't losing any fluid at all. Is my motor just shot all together?

flSnake03

Established Member
Not sure if you are still having the problem, but I've gone through all of these issues as well. I had replaced the lines and rams, and all was well for a while. Then it more or less stopped going up and down without help. I thought it was the motor, but it turned out to be an internal seal of one of the rams. So basically I was losing no fluid, the motor was doing what it was supposed to do, but one of the rams wasn't doing anything, because fluid just pumped right through it. I replaced the bad one and I was back in business.

Users who are viewing this thread