Need Brake Advice

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I took my '03 Lightning into the local Ford dealer to have the gas tank strap recall done, as well as an oil change. One of the techs noticed that my brake pads were worn down quite a bit and wanted to know if I wanted them to take a closer look. I said sure.

They said that all 4 rotors are in bad shape and cannot be turned...they also said that all 4 pads needs to be replaced. The entire job will cost just over $1,000. I told them I would look into an aftermarket kit of some sort because I wasn't happy with the brakes from the get-go....

So, what should I buy? I don't want to spend $3,000...I just want better than factory performance.

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
i went with baer decall rotors and hawk hps pads with SS lines i think i spent a little over 1k on parts it was several years ago though. i was very happy with them

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
check into rotopros..i think thats the name anyways. They seem to have great pricing and sometimes have specials. Or you can go with OEM parts and do the work yourself to save some coin.

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Either do the brake job yourself--and PLEASE check their claims yourself!! I don't know how many miles you have, but if you have what most have in your date range, you shouldn't be totally destroyed unless you're either road racing or just hard on your brakes. Or get a BBK from TCE Performance (Lightning - Kits) for about $1800 and upgrade that way.

If you just do a stock brake job, invest in stainless wrapped flex lines, that will make a HUGE difference in feel alone. I don't think you need to go with any slotted/holed rotors in a street truck, it's just bling that actually can reduce braking efficacy. A good BBK, however, WILL improve braking significantly, but if you're mostly street, you still won't need holes/slots.

Users who are viewing this thread