Need bigger impact gun??

imeyers302

Established Member
Went to install my Koni sports and could not get one of the two lower strut bolts out. My impact gun is supposed to go to 250ft lbs but no luck. Tried breaker bar too. Bottom one came out no prob but top one ain't going anywhere yet. Need to get a different socket for my larger breaker bar and give that a try. Anyone else get stuck on this?

evil281

Established Member
Use a tube at the end of the breaker bar for added leverage and use constant steady pressure. I always use the tube from my floor jack arm. May try penetrator oil on the bolt too.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Went to install my Koni sports and could not get one of the two lower strut bolts out. My impact gun is supposed to go to 250ft lbs but no luck. Tried breaker bar too. Bottom one came out no prob but top one ain't going anywhere yet. Need to get a different socket for my larger breaker bar and give that a try. Anyone else get stuck on this?

I ran into the same issue when doing a buddies car, was using an ingersol rand 1/2" impact. Does yours have flagnuts like the below diagram (4), or just std nuts? My track pack had the flagnuts and I was able to zip them right off with no trouble, but my buddies did not have flagnuts, we ended up put a breaker with 18mm socket on the nut and used the impact on the bolt. You might try a little liquid wrench on that top one. BTW Are you supporting the control arm with a jack at all?

2u7uoeq.jpg

Last edited:

imeyers302

Established Member
I ran into the same issue when doing a buddies car, was using an ingersol rand 1/2" impact. Does yours have flagnuts like the below diagram (4), or just std nuts? My track pack had the flagnuts and I was able to zip them right off with no trouble, but my buddies did not have flagnuts, we ended up put a breaker with 18mm socket on the nut and used the impact on the bolt. You might try a little liquid wrench on that top one. BTW Are you supporting the control arm with a jack at all?

2u7uoeq.jpg

Mine has the flagnuts like in the picture. Yes I am turning it the right way. Bottom one came off no prob. Don't want to use a breaker bar and a pipe because I don't want to slip and hit the fender. A buddy of mine is lending me a bigger impact gun. Hopefully that will do the trick. Mine is a cordless. He is giving me an air impact with more power instead of a cordless like I have. And yes I had a jack ready to go to support arm.

Last edited:

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Sounds like you have a crappy impact gun. Mine is rated for 700ftlb, try something like a IR thunder gun.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Yep as everyone said you should get a stronger impact, or use an extension on the breaker bar. Also as someone mentioned relieving the pressure by using a jack under the control arm will help the spindle unbind itself from the strut a little bit.

imeyers302

Established Member
Sounds like you have a crappy impact gun. Mine is rated for 700ftlb, try something like a IR thunder gun.

Definitely. My buddy is giving me a real good air impact with plenty of torque. I have the Milwaukee flex and it just does not have enough juice. It loosened the bottom one pretty easily but just does not have enough power to crack the top one. It did not have enough juice to loosen the panhard bar bolt either. Had to use a breaker bar for that one. Time to buy a new air impact. That cordless is just so convenient. Works great to remove lug nuts etc....

imeyers302

Established Member
ill ask my snap on guy today since he's about to bring me some goodies today! yay

After checking my impact gun is only 200ft lbs. Those bolts are normally torqued to 166ft lbs. My dealer installed my springs before I bought the car so no telling if they just used an impact and just made it real tight. 200ft lbs is not enough torque.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
That's a pretty nice looking piece, once I get my garage setup I may have to get one of those.

Been doing exhaust and suspension work with it lately and its crucial, been using it where I would normally never think to try and get an impact in.

Currently developing a impact ratchet wrench that uses a hammering force instead of the normal air ratchet rotation as well. About 1.5" round and under 6" long, so anywhere u can get your hand, basically, you can impact bolts/nuts.

imeyers302

Established Member
Been doing exhaust and suspension work with it lately and its crucial, been using it where I would normally never think to try and get an impact in.

Currently developing a impact ratchet wrench that uses a hammering force instead of the normal air ratchet rotation as well. About 1.5" round and under 6" long, so anywhere u can get your hand, basically, you can impact bolts/nuts.

I want one of those!!

Users who are viewing this thread