need belt size w/ 2.8 setup

IMPORTSMOKER

Established Member
im gonna try to eliminate my possible belt slippage by switching to a gaterback belt (from my napa belt) because of my top end boost drop, im going to notch the tensioner with my 2.81 pulley, stock lower, 100mm steeda idler...im currently running a 74" belt....im looking at mayb e a 73"-73.75" any opinions or part numbers will help, thanks

99SVTcobraVERT

im thinking maybe my belt isnt as tight as i thought.. im running a 74 5/8. am i running too big. is that why im only making 13.9 max and by rpm redline 10.5-10.9 psi? import what boost are you currently seeing??? and what is your exact belt size you are running now. are you running idler right now?? im running 90mm metco and 2.8 metco

PKFIRE

Established Member
I have a 73.3" belt on my 2.8" with no idler. Fast Ford magizine used a Gates belt instead of a Gatorback because they hold up better. I recomend Gates because it's a strong made Italian belt. They recomend this brand for for my Dodge Spirit which is known to break timing belts.

Last edited:

IMPORTSMOKER

Established Member
Well, i tried the 73.5 with my setup - 2.8 and 100mm idler...and that didnt work - the belt actually ripped!! it was just too small of a belt - so im gonna throw a 74" gaterback...and well see

dun4791

Established Member
Save yourself money and aggravation with belt sizes and replace your stock tensioner with a reichard racing spring loaded tensioner....

Users who are viewing this thread